Chapter Twenty Six: Kind Hearts

"Why are you getting so much fruit?" Jimin asked as he picked up a container of strawberries from Jungkooks' shopping cart. Beside it sat grapes, cantaloupe, and apples.

Jungkook shrugged. "We need fruit." He placed a chocolate spread in the cart and continued down the aisle.

"Fruits and chocolate?" Jimin continued to question as he followed Jungkook. "What? You taking Raine on a picnic date or something?" He joked, but when Jungkook didn't respond, he began to piece things together. "Oh, my god. Are you taking Raine on a date?!"

"We don't go on dates," Jungkook mumbled.

"That's implying you do other things." Still, Jungkook remained quiet as he bit his lip and overly checked the ripened state of a watermelon. His silence screamed volumes to Jimin. "You had sex with her?!" Jimin exclaimed.

"Would you shut the hell up!" Jungkook looked around, hoping no one in the produce section had heard all his business.

"How long have you been sleeping together?"

"I don't know. A couple of weeks."

"A couple of weeks, and you didn't tell me?!"

"We didn't tell anyone. It's not like we're together."

"Other than in bed, right?" The image implanted itself in Jimin's head. Now he couldn't unsee it. An uneasy feeling came over him, but he pushed it aside. "So are you? Taking her on a date?"

"It's not a date. I'm just taking Raine up to that place we used to go camping in high school."

Jimin knew the place. His father would often take them on a boy's trip there. They set up camp and fished their dinner. Jimin's father would make them gut the fish and cook it themselves. It was disgusting, but it made them feel like men. Whatever the hell that meant in their delusional teenage minds. "What made you want to take her there?"

Desperation.

Something was different about Raine since he picked her up from work two days prior. Jungkook couldn't say for sure, but in the time he knew her there were only two times Raine was quiet. When she was angry or sad. Jungkook hoped she was neither of those things.

Aside from a measly tap kiss after she got into the car when he picked her up from work, she hadn't shown him much affection.

To even get her to crack a smile, Jungkook had resorted to a ten-second twerk session.

Obviously, he'd sell his soul to the devil for a giggle.

He tried to get her to open up, but she kept saying she was tired. He had begun to stay up while she slept, beating himself up about possibly having done something wrong. He couldn't think of anything.

Maybe something happened at work or with that asshole she used to date that she wasn't telling him about. Maybe she had changed her mind about wanting him. Maybe she was ready to go back to Daehyun now.

Could he stop her if that's what she wanted to do?

Jungkook shrugged again. "I think she would really like it."

"Sounds like a date to me then," Jimin added under his breath. He started to check the watermelons himself and held one out to Jungkook. "This one looks good." Jimin smiled at his best friend, even though he didn't actually feel like doing so. He guessed it was easier to swallow the idea of Jungkook and Raine sleeping together when they weren't actually sleeping together.

💜

"Okay, I'm going to let you into the car, but you can't turn around!"