Chapter 3: Opportunity

“Fluke! Fluke! I know you're in there!” A sharp voice screeched from the other side of the door, followed by loud banged against his door.

“You owe me 4 months of rent and I cannot tolerate it any longer! You better pay me or else I will be calling the police!” Mrs. Alin, his landlady, yelled.

Fluke held his breath and didn't make any noise. For the past months, Mrs. Alin came over every morning for his overdue rent. If he had money, he would not be avoiding her like this, but that was the problem. He didn't have money and any other place to go.

After a couple of minutes and a few more angry pounds on the door, the sound of her footsteps slowly faded away. Only then he let out an exasperated sigh.

Time was running out. It's been two weeks since he lost his job from the diner but until now, he still wasn't able to land a job. He went to so many job interviews, but he failed to each one of them. Maybe because the word spread about Tao and his men did to the diner, that is why they don't want to accept him, scared that something like that might happen to them.

But giving up was not an option for Fluke, he had to keep trying. The money he needed was not going to come on its own. He knew that Tao will not give him any more time, same as Mrs. Alin. And hiding from them won't be the best solution.

Determined, he grabbed his old laptop and check his online bank account.

19,037 baht.

That's how much he managed to save up for the past 6 months. And that amount was far from close to paying both his overdue house rental and his debt to Tao.

“Would I be able to pay them both on time?” Fluke laid back on his bed and sigh.

At first, he only owed Tao 100,000 baht, while all the misfortunes happened to him from her mother's being sick and until her passing, the debt grew into 400,000 baht in no time in where the interest is not included and is payable for two years.

He sighed again and got up to his bed. He grabbed his laptop again and searched for “available job positions” in the Google search engine.

When it finally loaded, he began to scroll down the page and scanned through the available jobs. Not a minute after, he spotted a perfect job opening.

POSITION AVAILABLE: PERSONAL SECRETARY (URGENT)

LOCATION: RITPRASERT GROUP OF COMPANIES

SALARY: 100,000 baht per month + 50,000 baht signing bonus + FREE APARTMENT + TRANSPORTATION FEE + OTHER BENEFITS

Click here to apply for this position.

His eyes grew bigger. Is this the answer to all his problems? The salary offer is higher than the usual, with free apartment, transportation plus other benefits and most importantly a 50,000 baht signing bonus. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So, Fluke hurried and applied for the position. Hopefully, he will get this job because if he did, it's like hitting 3 birds in one stone. He can pay his overdue monthly installment with Tao, the overdue rent, and he can get a new place to stay to all at once. Isn't that amazing?