Chapter 17: Past

Two Years Ago

"Tian," Ohm said suddenly, and his girlfriend turned to look at him. He was sweating, it was obvious, but he didn't care; this was his moment. He whipped the ring box out of his pocket so fast that Tian couldn't make out what it was, and rapidly changed his position from sitting on the chair to kneeling on the floor with the box in his hands. Tian's eyes widened, and her mouth gaped as Ohm sputtered, "I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

Tian had her hand cupped over her mouth to try to hide her shock, but Ohm could see from her eyes that she was smiling. Slowly, her head bobbed up and down in a nod. She was smiling as tears of happiness starting to form into her eyes and so with Ohm. Tian slightly kneeled, reaching Ohm for a hug. After the warmest hug, Ohm took out the ring from the box, kissed his now-fiancé hands, and slowly and gently slide the ring onto her finger."

Ohm can't help but smile, he is at work, but his mind is thinking about the special night that never fails to give him so much happiness. In a month, he will be marrying the love of his life, his childhood best friend. Ohm glanced at the photo frame of Tian in his table, they have known each other since they were kids, as both of their parents are friends and business partners. Despite being with each other almost all of their lives, Ohm still can't wait to spend the rest of his life with her.

His reverie was broken, when suddenly his cell phone rang. Startled, Ohm quickly reach his phone and answer the call. The call, that he will never forget, that certain call that ruined everything he dreamt of.

"It was supposed to be the beginning of a happy journey with the love of his life. Everything was perfect not until Ohm's fiancée Tian, died in a car crash a month before their wedding day. But worst of it all is that we found out that she was with someone, who also died with the crash. Apparently, this guy is Tian's lover. She was about to runaway and leave Ohm for that man." Boun said, recalling the incident happened two years ago.

"And since then, Ohm changes a lot. He endured the pain of losing Tian and the fact that he was betrayed by her. He suppressed his emotions by focusing himself to work. Trusting people became hard for him, he thinks that everyone will betray him. Again. He distanced himself to people, and as a result he became cold, rude and harsh in treating everyone." Boun continues.

Hearing all of these stories from Doctor Boun, his boss' cousin, Fluke suddenly pity his boss. For the past week, he's been working for him, he used to see him with a strong and intimidating aura. He never thought that but behind all these, he's been carrying these pain all this time.

Fluke released a weak sigh. "Why are you telling me this, Doctor Boun?" Finally, he got the chance to ask.
Thanks to Ploy, who introduce them with each other last time he visits Ohm in the company or else he'll be a lost cat as to why suddenly this supposed doctor's check-up became a heart-to-heart talk.

"I am truly sorry, Fluke, for my cousin's behavior towards you. I know there is nothing that can justify his actions, but in behalf of him, I am deeply sorry. I know it will be much more to ask, but can you be more patient with him? I hope you can still give him a chance?"

Fluke lost for words, he still kind of dizzy and obviously not feeling well and as a soft hearted guy he is, he flashed a smile as a his response to Boun.

"I'm sorry..."

Suddenly, Fluke remember his boss apology. He knew, it was quick, and it was almost a whisper. But somehow, he felt it was sincere. Sincere, that he decided to give his rude and arrogant boss a chance.
"After all, every person deserve it, right? " He thought to himself.