Chapter 9: First Day

Today was Fluke's first day as personal secretary to the CEO at the Ritprasert Group of Companies. And he feels ecstatic. Finally, he landed a job in a good company, and he will be compensated well. Enough to manage all his expenses and debts.

The moment Fluke stepped into the 12th floor where the CEO office is located, everyone is staring at him. Not only that, others were whispering too. Loudly.

“How long do you think he will survive?” one person asked.

“I heard he was bribed.”

“He won't last a week.” one guessed.

“I bet he'll quit by tomorrow!”

“No way! He will quit by the end of the day.” one said with a chuckle.

Fluke eyebrows knitted in confusion. “What is going on here”. He thought.

Not a minute later, someone pat his shoulder.

“Hi! You're the new personal secretary to the CEO, right?” A petite lady with a fair skin, pretty face and cheerful aura said.

Fluke nodded as a reply.

“I'm Ploy Sornarin. I'm also one of the staffs here. Just ignore the others, don't mind them.” She stuck out her hand for a handshake.

“I'm Fluke. Fluke Natouch. Nice to meet you, Ploy.” He said, accepting her hand.

“Ms. Sammy asked me to assist you. Follow me, and I'll give you a brief tour of this building, and then I'll explain all the necessary dos and don'ts.

Ploy showed him a few places and where each department are situated. Fluke made sure to jot down as Ploy explained each and everything to him.

“This is Phi Sin. He's in charge of keeping tab on the employees who work here. You're going to get your ID in a few days time, He'll call you to let you know, okay?” Ploy told him, and he immediately nodded as he took one look at the man who stretched out his hand for a handshake. Fluke accepted it with a smile.

“Phi Sin, this is Fluke Natouch. He's Mr. Thitiwat's new personal secretary.”

“New personal secretary? So, you're up for the job?” He asked with amusement as his eyebrow raised.

“Yes. Yes, I am.” Fluke answered proudly without restraining his smile.

“Do you have any idea what happened to the last secretary? She…”

“Okay, Phi Sin, that's enough. Ploy interrupted him, which made Fluke more confused and suspicious. He quite couldn't understand why everyone is surprised that he accepted the job.

Both of them are now heading in their way to their final location, which is Fluke's office.

“What exactly happened to his last secretary? Fluke couldn't help but asked.

“Nothing really. Phi Sin was just trying to scare you.”

“Really? It didn't seem so to me.”

Ploy sighed. She stops and turned to Fluke.

“The last secretary resigned. She couldn't handle the task, so she left. That's all. There's nothing serious there.”

“Really?” Fluke asked as he suddenly fell into thoughts. If the person before him resign due to so much pressure, he wondered just how tough this position was.

“Yes, so forget about it. You are two different people. Looks like you're a hardworking and a tough person, so I know you can do this.” Ploy said, flashing a warm smile that gives him a sense of encouragement.

Fluke smiled and follow Ploy as she led him into the innermost room, his office.

The tiny room is complete with a coffee machine and mini fridge. In the middle of the room there were a medium-sized oak desk and a swivel chair. A laptop, an office phone and a name plate sat on the desk too.

Fluke Natouch, Personal Secretary

He let his fingers trace over the carving of his name. Slowly, his lips spreading into a smile.

“The CEO office is at the opposite side of this room.” Ploy said informing him.

“Thank you. Thank you for helping me today, Ploy.”

“No problem. Here, this planner contains the schedule of Mr. Thitiwat. And these…are the documents you needed to bring when you come with him in meetings.”  Ploy said, pointing to the folders neatly arranged beside the planner. “Make sure to go over them, okay? And if you have any question, or you need anything, fell free to ask me. My office is just a bit farther from here.”

Fluke nodded. “Thank you again, Ploy.”

Ploy smiled as she finally retired to her office.

Fluke sighed.

What kind of person is the CEO? Why does everyone seem to be scared of him? Maybe it's better if he should report to him for his first day. So, he could meet him too.

He stood up and walked his way out to the CEO's office.

Between two potted plants stood a double door where a golden nameplate nailed on it with embossed letters that read; Ohm Thitiwat Ritprasert. Chief Executive Officer.

He softly, but at the same time just hard enough, knock the door consecutively waiting for a response.

There was a silence. So he knocked again, this time a bit louder. Still, no response. Thinking that maybe the CEO did not hear him, he gave it another try, making the knock even louder.

“In…” He finally heard a faint voice from the other side of the door.

“Was that a come in?” Fluke murmured.

Slowly, his hand on the handle, he took a deep breath and went inside, hoping that he heard it right.

But wrong. His ears were so wrong.