0.11 Small Talk

·Small Talk·
polite conversation about unimportant or uncontroversial matters, especially as engaged in on social occasions.

Call?

Max stared at his text. Was he sounding too desperate? How could he? It was only one word. After Max had woken up, he desperately wanted to call Isla. He woke up confident if anything else and figured he needed to do this to make himself feel that bit better.

Typing...

He moved uncomfortably in his chair. What if she said no? He quickly typed something else to not sound desperate but that plan went straight out the window as he read he typed.

If you can
I need to talk to someone

He stopped texting and waited for her response. She'd been typing a while now....okay he's said something wrong for sure. He began typing an apology when she messaged him back.

Yeah we've never talked before so it's gonna be a bit strange for sure

He finished off his mini apology and sent it, understanding that she probably didn't want to listen to his problems.

Okay, that's fine
I get it too

Max sat on his bed, looking at the wall with a TV stuck to it. He hadn't anybody to talk to now. No one wanted to listen. His phone vibrated, catching him off guard a little bit. He picked it up and read wbk it was from; Isla

No, no
I can call

What if she didn't actually want to? What if she just felt bad? So many questions!

Are you sure?

She messaged him back quickly.

Absolutely
Here's my number just call when you're ready

Max read the numbers and added them to his contacts. He was going to do it, he was finally going to call her. He was going to hear her voice talk back to him. It felt like pure heaven, pure bliss. Before he dialled her number, he went and locked the door to his room so no one could just barge in. When he finally sat back down, his thumb hovered over the call button before he Max sat anxiously with the phone to his ear. Was she going to pick up? Was this a joke? If it was, it was cruel. "Hello?" the sweetest voice rung. Max turned to jelly. "Hey, it's Max." Max replied. He heard a light chuckle from the other side of the line. "I know, so how are you feeling? P4 isn't bad." Isla chirped. Max chuckled and lay back in his

"I was angry with myself but now I'm just nervous." Isla furrowed her eyebrows. "How come? What happened?" she asked, genuinely intrigued. "Well, I didn't think you'd answer the call either and I might run out of things to say." Isla laughed to herself a bit. Max loved the sound of her laugh. Imagine what it sounded like face to face and not through a phone. "You drive these cars around tracks at dangerously high speeds and you're nervous if I'd answer your phone call?" She joked, causing Max to loosen up a bit and laugh at the joke. "Let's just say I'm more experienced in F1 than in dating. Not exactly the greatest thing going for me at the moment." Isla sighed. "Me neither. Things have been going downhill, I'm not gonna lie." She rubbed the back of her neck as she recollected what had happened eith Andre. "Things go downhill for me too. Its one of those things in life. It kind of tests you." Max told her. It made a lot of sense to be fair. Isla understood what Max was saying. It resonated a lot with her. It was simply a test. "You've gor a point. I'm just so tired right now. I've been up a while ans running around with my parents, everything has been busy today and I can't wait to just sleep."

"I should let you go to sleep then." Max said. Almost as if it was scripted, Isla yawned and Max could hear too. "No, I don't mind staying up a while." Isla insisted but Max knew she must have been exhausted. "I don't mind balling you some other time when we aren't both tired. Maybe we could even meet up sometime?" he suggested. That wasn't half bad of an idea to be honest. "I'll be in LA until I finish my EP but I'll be able to go to the Monaco Grand Prix I think. Just need to go buy a ticket." Max scoffed, matching Isla off guard as he came across as a bit ruder than he expected. "No, no, no, I'll get you in as a guest." Max said. "Max, I have the money to get myself a ticket." But Max was having none of it. He wanted to bring Isla to the paddock as his friend and who knows, by the time Monaco comes around, maybe even his girlfriend. Ew, why was he thinking girlfriend? He'd never even met her in real life! "But you don't have enough to buy yourself a guest spot in the Red Bull hot tub in Monaco." She giggled at his determination to get her in as a guest. "That's true, I'll be talking to you about it anyway, so I should probably get to the studio." She said, rubbing her eyes. "I've got to get to the airport but I'll be calling you to catch up and to get you F1 tickets."
"My kind of conversation." Isla joked, making Max chuckle.

"Bye Isla."

"See you later Max."

And that's how it started, some small talk of the phone