Chapter 3: His Return

My eyes opened for some reason at around midnight. I sighed, and sat up, stretching in the darkness of the bedroom. Kazuha lay still on the sheets beside me, not having had problems like me in sleeping. My throat felt achingly dry, and I slid out of bed, grabbing my phone to serve as a flashlight as I made my way down.

I switched off my phone as I reached downstairs, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. I swung open the referigerator in the kitchen, and grabbed a bottle of water from it. I drank as much water as I needed to, and made my way back to the living room, to ascend the stairs. When suddenly, from the direction of the front door, I heard a noise. Thump. Like someone or something had fallen down outside. My heart rate fastened as I trampled about in the darkness. After that one sound, the night had once again become eerily still. I wanted to check it out, but I wasn't so dumb I'd go all by myself.

I tiptoed silently back into my bedroom, and prodded the silver haired boy fast asleep on the bed, as gently as I could. He stirred, his lips moving in silent murmurs as he stretched his arms upwards, and stared at me drowsily with his beautiful crimson eyes.

"Whats wrong?" he asked, drawing me in closer to him. I grabbed his shoulders, as he stared at me with a half asleep, confused expression. His body tensed as no reply came from me, and he repeated his question, as he stared at me seriously, with worry in his eyes.

"I heard something. Something's outside the front door." I answered. Kazuha intertwined his fingers with mine gently, as he led me out of the bedroom, and down the staircase to the front door. I could feel my hands trembling, and felt a wave of embarrassment wash over me. Sure, I'd been through incidents with killers, but I was being too much of a scaredy-cat now. It was honestly pathetic of me.

Kazuha swung open the front door, and my heart sped up even more, as chills spread throughout my body. Was it a killer? A criminal? Some paranormal entity? Or maybe just someone in need of help? I was extremely nervous to see what it was, yet could not curb my curiosity. I held onto Kazuha's arm as I peeked outside. There was nothing in front of us, or on the sides, for as far as we could see. It was all just snow, wherever I looked. But sprawled on the ground, was someone I'd thought I'd never see again.

"Childe!" I cried as I rushed towards him. His face was extremely scarred, but I could recognize him almost instantly. His caramel coloured hair, his features that had made me fall in love with him. The one that I'd believed to be dead for all these years. I checked him for a heartbeat, and to my relief, he had a steady heartbeat, but his fingers and bare feet were red from the cold. He had wounds which were bleeding heavily all over, and thorns in the soles of his feet. His fingers had had their tips shredded off by some kind of tool, and the nails on his toes were completely gone. His forehead was burning. Probably a fever.

"Lets bring him in." Kazuha declared, supporting Childe's height with two arms, and carrying him inside. I nodded as I closed the door behind us, and stared at my ex-crush, alive and unconscious as Kazuha placed him on the couch, and rushed to get the heater, and a first-aid kit. I wiped away my tears as I sat down beside him, hand stroking his forehead.

Where have you been and who did this to you, Childe?