Chapter 11: His Past

I leaned against the wall as memories passed through my head. Memories of my friend, still in my head. Why had I lied to my lover about losing my memories? I didn't want her to deal with it. I didn't want her to have to suffer the burden of my past as well. She already had enough to handle. I'd told her that so she wouldn't ask me later. One day, I'd tell her the truth properly. As for now, I'd keep it to myself. 

"ARE YOU MY MOM KAZUHA?" Tomo shouted. I sighed and placed his dinner on the table.

"Just eat." I pointed to the bowl of ramen.

"SHORTIES DO HAVE TEMPER HUH"

"JUST EAT!"

"Okay okay, mother dearest, I shall eat." Tomo picked up his chopsticks and sat down on the table.

"What trouble did you get into again?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"Just petitioning for the agreement again."

"How many times will you do that? There's no point in it. She won't listen."

"Kazuha-chan, there's magic in words! All we can do is try!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

||

"It was approved?" my eyes widened in shock. That was suspicious.

"Yup!" Tomo ruffled my hair.

"Thats fishy! Don't go!" I tried to knock some sense into him. However, his face darkened. He'd accepted it. This was just suicide.

"I'll be back soon, okay? Lets go fishing again once I come back."

And that was the last I saw of him.

||

By the time I got there, it was too late. He'd been fighting for a just cause. He'd tried to speak up against the tyrant who had taken control over the nation. Japan's newly elected president had established imperialism through force after disarming people. He'd gone to defy her. We'd all known what would happen. I could have stopped it-

"TOMO!" my cries were wiped out by the rain as my friend came crashing down after being shot twice. A peaceful protest was all he'd done. Just why? Wasn't this place where the agreement would happen? Then just why?

My friend's limp body fell into my arms as his lifeless purple eyes, now open, stared at me. I felt something hot on my cheeks. Tears. I wasn't used to them.

"T-Tomo? W-wake up. Yo-you said you'd be back soon." I laid his lifeless head on my lap. "H-hey. Wake up. Y-you said we'd go fishing together. Wake up." I shook his body back and forth. "Please." He wasn't dead. He couldn't be. He had to stand back up. He always did. This wasn't real. This had to be a nightmare.

"Kill him." I heard that woman's voice. Hatred? Was that what I was supposed to feel? Sorrow? I didn't know. The only person I'd relied on to teach me these things was gone. Gone. I grabbed Tomo's katana and dashed away as fast as I could. A bullet hit me on my shoulder, making me yelp and stumble. Armed guards followed me, guns in hand. Another bullet hit me on my leg. Then another. Then another. It never stopped.

I turned towards the furnace and threw myself inside. Placing my bleeding hands on the sides, and somehow scaling the walls, I climbed upwards. One of my hands was burnt from the fire, but I ignored it as survival was the only thing on my mind. Tomo's katana was attached to the belt at my waist. I somehow made it to the top, and slowly scaled the rooftop, until I found a huge tree I could use to land.

I ran away, as pain worked its way up my body, and my mind and soul felt like they would shatter. For what was I trying to live? For whom?

"Find him!" I heard voices as I ran into the woods. And after a while, I lost consciousness.

||

"You're up. You barely survived. Three bullets near the heart, but you survived. You're a fighter, sire. May I ask your name?" I heard a kind voice. I was in a hospital room, and a doctor peered down on me.

"I'm Kaedehara Kazuha."