Chapter 4: His Return (2)

"You're finally up." a voice I'd thought I'd never hear again sounded in my ears like some kind of melodious blessing. I'd finally gone insane, huh? I opened my eyes, to discover I wasn't insane. It was her. The very sight of her sent chills down my spine. The one that I'd almost died protecting. And who hadn't cared about me and just moved on. It could be easily discerned from the ring on her finger, one that matched the one on the finger of the the silver haired boy's, and the fact that they were living together. They were either married or engaged.

"How do you feel? Does it still hurt? Shall I go bring a doctor?" Kazuha asked. I stared at him. It didn't hurt me as much physically as it did mentally. These injuries on me were nothing compared to what I'd been through before anyway. A burning hatred seethed in my heart for the silver haired boy, who was now Lumine's significant other.

"How did this happen to you? How're you still alive?" Lumine tried to hold my hand with a silent desperation on her face, but I snatched my hand away from hers. She was a traitor. I refused to hold her hand and act as if nothing had happened between us.

"What happened to me is none of your business." I snapped. Lumine's eyes were almost miserable. Pff. I wanted to laugh at her. She had suffered even less than I had, so was she the one who looked so miserable? Why'd I even almost given my own life for this wretched girl?

"There's no need to tell us if you don't want to. Please, eat this." Kazuha brought a bowl of warm soup and placed it in my hands. He tried to assist me with eating, but I slapped his hand away, and proceeded to eat by myself. It hurt, but I was now used to it. Kazuha sighed and sat down on the couch from across me.

My eyes lingered around the house. It was well kept. We were seated in the living room. There was an open kitchen with no door, just like a counter of sorts, to the right. A television was perched at the back of the living room, towards which the couches faced. Shelves and key holders lined the walls, and a framed photo of Kazuha's engagement with Lumine (they didn't have a wedding attire on, so I knew they were only engaged), hung on the wall. It made me sick. All these years that I had been suffering, these two had been living their lives happily together as if nothing had happened at all. It was infuriating.

"The Fatui- were you really one of their most trusted individuals?" Lumine asked. I hated her voice. When she spoke, it made my heart melt. I would once again revert to being the young man who was head over heels for her. Who loved her so much he'd even willingly sacrifice himself for her. I didn't answer her, and just kept eating in silence.

"We have to leave for uni. I'll leave my phone here in case you need us for anything. You can ring up Lumine from my phone whenever you need help." Kazuha said, dropping a black phone on the couch beside me. He was pretty defenseless about his privacy. Didn't he worry about his information being looked at by others?

Kazuha and Lumine headed for the door, bags in hand, as they locked their arms together in a show of affection. It stung in my heart, but I ignored them as I picked up Kazuha's phone and invaded his privacy.

His wallpaper wasn't even of Lumine, both his lockscreen and homescreen were default. The apps he had were very less, mostly inbuilt apps, a messaging app, an app related to his university, and Candy Crush Saga. His phone was like that of an old man's, who had recently started to get into that 'modern' stuff. The only social media he had was Twitter, to follow his university's official account on it.

His gallery had pictures of him and Lumine, all added in an album called 'favourites'. The pictures related to his work and documents were all stored in an album titled 'work'. That was all he had. His messages mostly consisted of small texts like 'hi' or 'hru' to his friends. It seemed he couldn't type fast.

I put aside his phone, and placing the bowl of soup on the table beside the couches, spread myself onto the couch, and closed my eyes. Only to again, have that nightmare.