Chapter 5: Her Grief

"I couldn't believe it! A surprise date!" Hu Tao giggled from beside me. We went to the same university, along with Thoma, Yoimiya and Ayaka. Chomgyun and Kazuha went to the same university, and the others attended universities pretty far from here. Chongyun had taken Hu Tao on a surprise date on their anniversary as a couple, which was really cute. As for me, I'd spent my last engagement anniversary with Kazuha in Japan, his home country.

"Hu Tao-" I wanted to tell her about Childe, but changed my mind quickly. The brunette looked at me with puzzled eyes. "Its nothing." I waved my hand with a smile. She giggled innocently, and started pulling out her textbooks, questioning me no further.

Thoma and Ayaka were in different classes than each other, and Lumine didn't share a class with them, since they were upperclassmen. They were in their 3rd year, and would graduate this spring, after which would come their inevitable wedding. Ayaka didn't seem too happy about it, although Thoma was delighted that they were getting married. He was pretty oblivious.

Ayaka POV:

I tapped on the messaging app on my phone and texted Lulu. Yes, we were secretly going out. I was set to be married to Thoma as our parents were good friends, and found this a good way to mark their friendship, and merge their companies after we were married. Why did we have to be married? I knew Thoma liked me, but to me, he was nothing more than a childhood friend. I'd fallen for Lulu, no matter how silly he was. I was supposed to look picture perfect with the perfect groom, but maybe I didn't want that. But then again, no one cared enough to ask me my opinion on all this stuff.

We were going to break this marriage, Lulu and I. I knew Thoma would definitely be heartbroken, but this was what I wanted. I didn't want to be with him. My happy ending would only be with the one I loved. Thoma had always thought Lulu was the third wheel whenever we met, but it was him. Thoma was the third wheel. He needed to understand. He was so arrogant that he thought I loved him. I'd pushed him away many times, but he refused to understand. How oblivious could a person be? I'd flat out told him I wouldn't marry him. And he'd answered,"Why?" Why was he trying to mess up my life so bad? I'd thought he was my friend, but maybe he just wanted to get in my way and make all my decisions too. Would anyone truly like an arranged marriage with someone they don't love? No one. Including me.

I smiled as I got a call from Lulu. I picked it up and greeted him,"Lulu!" But to my surprise, someone else replied with a grim voice,"Ma'am, is this person Lulu? This is the police speaking. We've found his body in his apartment. He's been killed two days prior, from what we can gather. We came here after neighbours grew curious and called us. He has been murdered, by the infamous criminal who leaves the note 'snow' on the victims he kills."

Tears streamed down my eyes as I raised my hand to my mouth. I felt sick. I dashed out of class, and to the class where Thoma was placed.

Thoma POV:

"Aya-chan's here to see me?" I asked excitedly. The professor nodded and pointed at the door, signaling that I could leave. My heart thumped with joy as I ran ecstatically outside and grabbed the hands of the silver haired girl I loved so much. Only to notice that she was crying.

"A-Aya chan, what happened?" I tried to calm her, but she didn't calm down at all. Instead, her breathing grew worse, and her tears didn't stop.

"My boyfriend's dead! Its all your fault!" she yelled. Her voice and words hurt me like needles in my heart. She'd had a boyfriend. I'd known she didn't like me, but she could have told me that she was in a relationship. And maybe it had been her family who killed her boyfriend. My family would never do that. But still, in a way, it was my fault.

"Aya-" but I was interrupted by her next words.

"You should be dead instead." she snapped. She walked away, leaving me by myself. Usually, I didn't cry. But today, I felt like I was going to shatter into a million pieces. I tried to wipe away my tears on my sleeve, but I just couldn't.

I'm sorry.