Chapter 8: Their Friendship

I dashed to where Thoma was (he was in the library), and dropped to the ground on my knees. His eyes were red and puffy from crying, and a look of shock arose in his eyes when he saw me prostrating on the ground. I was the heiress of a company, much like him. He hadn't expected this from me. I hadn't either. But Kazuha's words had made me realise.

"I'm so sorry!" I collapsed into a heap on the ground, my voice breaking. Thoma knelt down towards me and looked at me with wide eyes. "I pushed all the blame on you, when in reality, the fault is mine and the murderer's. I didn't even ask him how he was and-" I sniffed. Thoma placed a hand on my back and hugged me. I tried to stop my tears, but they kept coming. How unladylike.

"Aya-chan, remember how we always used to pick seashells together as kids? Thats exactly how I see it now. I was selfish, always wanting more from you. Maybe I'd already decided that you were the princess of my fairy tale." he gently wiped the tears from my eyes. "But you aren't. You're somebody else's princess. You always were. Thats why, I had already intended to have our engagement cancelled." he smiled.

"I just thought that maybe you'd come to like me during our time together, but I guess I was never the one for you." he clasped her hands tightly and kissed the back of her hands. "Thats why I always acted so clingy and arrogant. Maybe that was my mistake. You took my joking more seriously than I thought, and maybe I upset you more than I thought. However, just remember that no matter what, I won't ever hate you. I'll always be your best friend, Aya-chan."

I held back incoming tears and smiled as I ruffled his hair. "I'm sorry Thoma. I'll always be your best friend too. No matter what, I'll stay with you. Thank you so much." I felt as if a heavy weight had been lifted off my chest. I couldn't reciprocate his feelings, but he'd surely find someone too. I rose from where I sat and turned to leave.

"I'll see you later."

"See you, Aya-chan."

Thoma POV:

"I'll see you later." Ayaka waved and left.

"See you, Aya-chan." I replied softly. As soon as she left, that man emerged from his hiding place.

"You should be an actor." the man grinned. I returned the grin.

"Always was." I shrugged while smiling.

"Good. Time for the final act." the man smiled devilishly.

"Of course sire." I smiled as my eyes glowed with an eeriness that I'd managed to hide before.