Chapter 5: I Can't Help You

"Matured..." Ray spoke. I smiled along with that word. I know that Ray is suspicious of my actions, but are there any exact words that could explain to him my condition?

None, cause I'm not gonna tell him the real reason.

I took a deep sigh "You won't understand it but that's the case. Besides... we all have our own secrets, you have your own too" I flashed him a business smile. "Are you also willing to tell me the reason on how did you know about the 'demons'?"

Ray didn't answer my question. 

I already know it, I already know the reason.

"The Demons..." I paused. "I haven't seen them yet but they are always haunting me in my dreams these past few days, I don't know but I have this instinct that I am the next one" My eyes fell on my naked toes. The fact that I am really the next one to be harvest...

Horrifying! I don't want to end up like that.

"How did you know that I know these things?" He asked me once again.

I raised my hands as I pointed my finger at his face. "Your expressions," I said. I don't really need to reveal that I know everything about him or his plans, I can act as if I find it out in the next few days to make it look natural. 

"I've been keeping it on myself but it burst out when I've suddenly had a nightmare on my birthday" I paused "Your expressions when I uttered the word 'monster' ... I suspected you when I saw your expressions"

"What?"

"Have you heard of micro expressions? Something like that, I'm kinda good at reading expressions you know..." I was starting to get hyped while explaining to him, It's so hard to be in a body of a child. "But you confirmed it by yourself when I asked you yesterday," I said in a determined voice.

He became surprised when I told him my 'lies' His eyes became indifferent as if the 'Conny' in front of him is not that 'Conny' anymore. "You deceived me," I took a deep breath when he said that "I see, you acted like you know what I know to confirm it." 

"I never thought that I am not the only person who is good at this. You were pretending all along." He chuckled, I'm starting to get nervous but I know that something won't happen. "Then what do you want to do? Why did you call for me here?"

"Ray is intelligent, I know that you can read through the lines" I spoke, I started to become fidgety. "I want to survive of course. I am sure that Ray knows a lot of information better than me, I don't really know where to start or what to do to survive, but I know that you know what to do since you are smarter than me"

Heh, Lies. Of course, I know what to do, that's why I am here to persuade you.

However, it is true that I also need his knowledge.

"I can't help you," He said. I noticed him clutching his fist. His answer did not disappoint me though... "Just accept your faith" He glanced at my fidgety hands.

This is kinda expected, I am a part of his plan, using me would be beneficial to him. However, I know that I can still change his mind. "Why?" I asked.

"Forget it," He said. He quickly stands up. It seems that he is planning to leave.

Ray, I know you're not heartless. Now that you knew that I know something, I know that you won't just stand there and do nothing. 

Before walking away, Ray glanced at me one more time. "Improve your test results," He said before walking away.

I smiled when he turned his back on me. I took my Bunny and the book to the table. "See? He's not a bad guy" I told to myself before following him. When catched up to him I quickly tug his shirt as I walk.

He didn't say anything but at least he let me to return with him.

•••••

CLING CLING CLING

"It's Breakfast time~"

"Wake up, wake up"

My eyes went to the two children who were holding a bell while running around. They were running around with the other children. I can recognize these two boys. 

"Good morning Thoma! Good Morning Lannion!" Says Emma who was greeting every person that she saw. 

Lannion and Thoma stopped before smiling widely, "Good Morning Emma!" They both said in unison. Hehe, these adventurous boys are really cute, energetic as usual.

Emma tilted her head when she saw me with Don. "Good Morning Don! Good morning Conny" She immediately came in my direction as she touched my hair. "Your hairstyle today is different again! Who braided your hair?" She asked.

"Don!" I quickly replied. I quickly pointed my fingers at him while showing a toothy grin. "Pretty isn't it? Don has a skill in tying hairs" I proudly announced. Although my braid is a bit shabby I can't help but praise Don for being a good brother.

Don scratched his head while looking at me. "Well... It's kinda shabby, but if you say so..." He said. Emma laughed as she ruffled my hair. 

"Fufufu Don is really a good brother, right Conny?" Emma said as she winked at me.

I quickly nodded my head as my answer.

"Good Morning Norman!" Emma waved her hands behind my back. I turned my head around and saw a white-haired boy greeting Emma back. He smiled at her gently before landing his eyes on me.

"Good Morning Conny," he said. 

Ah, I almost forgot my little achievement yesterday. I accidentally defeated Norman in the game of tag. I smiled at him brightly. "Good Morning Norman" I replied, he smiled at me before doing his task.

When we finished our breakfast we immediately proceed to our daily exam so we can play earlier outside. I immediately wear my headphones while glancing at the screen. I suddenly remember what Ray told me a while ago.

Improve my test results?

But what if I don't want to? I can't really do that since I don't want someone to take my place until I have created a concrete plan. I can improve it for a little bit, but just for a little bit. 

A hidden smirk appeared on my face as we started to answer. Let's try to provoke that little boy. I wonder if he would react to my actions. Ray doesn't want to help me? Okay, I don't really mind~