Chapter 10: It's Not Me

"Someone's going to be adopted?" Ray asked curiously

"Someone's going to be adopted?" Ray asked curiously. His eyes went to the both of them. "Who?"

Emma and Norman glanced at each other as if they are communicating with their gazes. In the end, they didn't answer the question. They remained silent.

It doesn't matter, I know who will get adopted anyway. It wasn't a secret because I am certain that it was me. I'm already expecting to hear the news of my adoption since the day I got here. I'm only waiting for the time.

I raised my right hand to hold Emma's hand. I hugged the bunny in my left hand tighter. Emma glanced at me confusedly but I smiled at her innocently. 

The truth is I am quite nervous.

I don't why but I am nervous.

I don't want to be a food.

My eyes went to the bunny in my hands. I can't act suspicious later. I have to act naturally. I shouldn't be nervous about the news that I already knew about. It won't be helpful in any way.

Damn it, why must I become Conny again? It's unfair!

"Looks like you won't answer the question," He said. Ray did not push the matter. He shrugged his shoulders and rose against his seat. There was a bored look on his face, he knows that Emma and Norman won't answer him. "I'll go see it for myself," He glanced at me for a while before leaving us behind.

My eyes followed his tracks until he disappeared before my eyes. After Ray disappeared, I suddenly noticed a sad look on Emma's face.

"Emma..." I worriedly uttered.  "Emma are you sad...?" My eyes went to Norman who was beside her. Just like Emma, there was a hint of sadness in his gentle face. My brows wrinkled when I sense that something's wrong is happening.

Norman can't be too sad because I'm getting adopted. We're not that close, so what made him show that kind of expression?

"No, I'm not sad. I'm actually happy," Emma said with a forced smile. My eyebrows went up when I noticed that she's trying to hide her real emotion. In 'The Promised Neverland', It wasn't her reaction when she found out that I'm going to be adopted.

Then what's happening?

Norman smiled gently as he patted Emma's hair. "Don't worry, I'll write you often," He said, "I won't forget to write you a letter," He said as if assuring Emma. "If you want I will visit here often."

"But I'll still miss you..." Emma uttered, her eyes dropped to the ground. "I'm sure Ray will do as well..."

"Ah...?"

My face became dumbfounded when I heard them said that. My mouth almost parted when I heard him dropping a bomb. I don't know if I misheard them but If I did, I would like to go to a doctor to fix my eardrums.

It can't be...

"N-norman's getting adopted?"

••••

"I have a good news for you today," Mama Isabella announced. She pulled Norman by his shoulder and smiled warmly at us. "Fufufu~ Norman's going to have a family, let's congratulate him," She said calmly to everyone.

The other children became shocked because of the news. Some congratulated him and the other children who were close to him were crying because of the announcement.

Up until now, I can't help but feel shocked and dumbfounded. How did Norman end up getting adopted? It was supposed to be me unless something happened that I didn't notice. 

I was too confident about the plot, did I miss something?

My eyes went to the girl who was beside me. Emma tried to smile to show us a happy face but that won't deceive me. I know that behind that smile, she is sad to part ways with her childhood friend. 

I want to mess up with my hair!

 Where's your plot armor Norman?!

Right now, I know that Mama Isabella will still send Norman to Peter Ratri to be experimented with in Lambda 7214. There is no way that Norman would be eaten by a demon, but why are these things happening so fast?

I was too confident.

My eyes went to Ray who seemed to be silent. Did he know everything? I can't ask him yet since it wasn't yet revealed to me that he is Mom's spy but I want to figure it out. I have to talk to him again.

The main plot hasn't even started, Norman can't disappear before the plot starts. For Peter's sake, he is a protagonist. He contributed a lot to the Jailbreak Arc. The plot won't work if the trio is not complete!

"His new parents will get him on October 15," Mama Isabella announced, she hugged Norman with a smile on her face. I didn't even notice any change of expression. "Let's spend our time with Norman, Okay?"

"Wahhhh! Mama! I don't want Norman to goooo," A child shouted while hugging Norman's legs. "Nooorman, don't go!"

Norman laughed gently while patting the child's hair. "I will write often," he assured them.

"B-but without Norman, How can Don defeat him in Tag?! Right Don?" 

My eyes went to Don who was clenching his fist. His forehead is frowning while looking at Norman. "I-it doesn't matter! I will defeat him in a week before he gets adopted!" He shouted. "Right Conny?" Then he glanced at me.

This cute child. You'll also miss him, don't you?

I nodded my head as a response to him. "But Emma will be sad if Norman leaves," I uttered, "And Ray... They will miss Norman too," I uttered

Ray flinched as he cleared his throat. "I won't, he will write often anyway," he said in a bored tone. When our eyes met he immediately averted his gaze. My face frowned a little but I didn't let anyone sees it. 

This brat is truly good at acting.

"T-that's right! I know that Norman will write often! He promised me," Emma shouted in a cheerful tone. She went to Norman and put her hands on his shoulders, "You will write often right?" There was a determined look on her face.

Norman was surprised because of Emma's actions, but in the end, he flashed a gentle smile. "Yes," He replied. "You won't even miss me because I will also visit you often."

I stared at the two of them. I took a deep breath while trying to hide my bizarre reaction. I put a thin line on my lips. "Sana all," I uttered in my own language.

Ray who heard my words glanced at me with a weird look, but I paid no attention to him. Just don't mind me, I'm just saying an alien language. I should really watch my words sometimes.

But anyway. 

No, Norman won't be able to write you a letter, nor visit this orphanage.

He won't go anywhere. He won't be 'adopted', I won't let that happen.

But first I have to know what happened that turns everything into this. There must be a butterfly effect.

I brushed my chins while thinking of acting something rash."I suddenly want to play chess," I uttered. My eyes went to the boy with Raven hair before turning my gazes at Norman.