Expectations vs Reality

It was nighttime. The entire house was silent. Kukki was sleeping peacefully in her room, feeling much better now. Prerna went in and out of the room whenever Kukki was asleep to check on her, but never when she was awake and never when Mr Bajaj was there with her. She kept sneaking at Mr Bajaj now and then in the hallways. Prerna was scared. She had done something that she could never have imagined in her wildest dreams. With all these thoughts, she went inside Kukki's room one last time to check on her before sleeping. As she was about to leave, Mr Bajaj entered the room and she froze. Both of them stared at each other. There was a pin drop silence between them. As Mr Bajaj moved forward, Prerna moved back and was about to stumble against one of the side lamps when Mr Bajaj caught it. Prerna got instantly scared by the closeness. Mr Bajaj placed a finger on his lips and pointed towards Kukki, signalling that Prerna needed to stay quiet. Prerna, however, pushed Mr Bajaj and ran from there, stumbling on another vase but then catching it just in the nick of time. Prerna entered her room and closed the door, along with the door connecting the two rooms. She sat hugging herself on the bed, alone and scared. She missed her mother and longed for the safety of her home. Suddenly, she heard someone knocking on the door. It took her some time to realise that somebody was knocking on the connecting door. Prerna, confused, scared, did nothing. After some time the voice got louder.

"Mrs Bajaj, I have another Key. Either you open the door or I will," Mr Bajaj shouted.

Prerna knew there was no way to hide. She took the glass vase near the door in her hands as a weapon for her safety. She hid it behind the back and, with trembling hands, opened the door.

"Mr.....Mr.....Baj.....Bajaj" Prerna stamerred.

"Maasi said you are not eating properly and the last few hours have not been quite relaxing. Today also you didn't have any dinner. It is not good for you. I would not like the Zurich incident to be repeated. Please have something to eat," MR Bajaj said, forwarding a tray.

Prerna was shocked and in a state of disbelief. "What???" Prerna asked, confused

"What??" Mr Bajaj said

"What did you just say??" Prerna said

"What is it you heard," Mr Bajaj said

"No.... Noth... Nothing," Prerna said, composing herself.

"You heard nothing I said," Mr Bajaj asked

"No.. I did... I didn't... I mean I thought...." Prerna said. Prerna had expected anger, shouts. With everything that had happened last night, she was correct to think about some reaction, but she was getting the exact opposite. Suddenly the Vase dropped from her hands and fell to the ground, shattering to pieces and making noise startling both Prerna and Mr Bajaj. She was about to step on one piece when.

"Mrs Bajaj!!! Please be careful and have something to eat," Mr Bajaj said and went about with his nighttime chores.

"You.... You bought food for me," Prerna said.

"Yes" Mr Bajaj replied

"Why??" Prerna asked

"Why?? What do you mean by why??" Mr Bajaj asked

"Yes, why?? After what... after what.... Happened..... last," Prerna stammered again. Mr Bajaj looked at her, confused as he was checking some papers when Prerna looked at the bandage in his hands. Mr Bajaj followed her eyes and looked at his own hand. With the same wounded hands, he pointed towards the food tray. She slipped away from the pieces and entered the study, ready to confront him and end this once and for all.

"Aap aise kyun behave kar rahin hain??" Prerna said

"Kaise behave kar raha hoon??" Mr Bajaj asked, confused and irritated.