1: 5 Y E A R S H E N C E

D R I S H T I

"Varun, baby wake up or I'm not allowing you to stay over at your friend's house this weekend" I screamed from the kitchen to wake up my little sunshine.

"Two minutes mum!" Replied my 4 years old and I heard sounds of his growling in anger while getting up from his bed.

Varun Drishti Sharma, my son who was born to me the week after my 18th birthday. That mistake was mine but I was not allowing a little life to end just because I was not cautious enough. Moving out of my own house after being abandoned by my parents and later dumped my baby daddy brought me several problems.

For months I had to live as a homeless woman, just walking along the road looking for a job, surviving on what little money I would get by doing small chores by myself. With my 7 month belly, it grew harder than what I imagined it to be. With the little money I had, I used it to keep me alive and had regular some check ups for the sake of my baby's health.

Things were the worst when I couldn't find a shelter for myself and was the baby due the next week. I needed care, but no one was there. I felt lonely, but no one showed up. I was depressed but had to get myself out of it so that the baby could be a healthy one. The next week two days before my due date, I brought my lifeline into this world. With clear brown eyes, he showed resemblance to his biological father while most of his other features were inherited from me.

Seeing him I knew, he was worth all the troubles. The day his little eyes opened to see me, his little tender hands curled around my finger, every pain, every suffering seemed to have vanished.

But then I knew if I didn't get myself a job and a shelter, he would be taken away from me. And I was not ready to give my only hope to live for an adoption or away to the child securities. He was mine.

The doctor that happened to work there, Miss Divya Walia had become an acquaintance of mine ever since I started coming for the check ups. She knew well of my state and offered to help me but I was the one not ready to accept any person's help. But in the end I had to ask her if she would help me finding a job and take care of Varun as his official 'guardian' till I was able to get on my feet.

It took me two years to get where I was now. Not enough, but I was satisfied with the things and the people I had with me. The first year I completed my high school in just four months and the next, I applied for different medical colleges. The acceptance letter came and I got rejected from the first one. But was able to get into the other medical school.

Talking of now, I was a single mom who was in her 2nd year of med school. For my son Varun, I was his mother as well as his father. He was the sort of person who only loved three people in his life the most, the three near which he was himself and knew that he was safe when he looked in their eyes.

The first person was me and the second person was his friend, his Divya whom he liked to call D. Varun would always fight with me that he would soend the weekend at Divya's home which was right in front of ours, he would awalys be sneaking out to play with her whenever he saw her returning. Weekends were easy for Divya as those days there was no night shift in the hospital. She would always the best person whom I could a friend. The third person was Sia, a caffee owner who lived near Divya's home. Whenever Divya would be out due to an emergency case, he would stay at Sia's. Sia was the second person who came into my life as a boon.

Not only does Divya helps me with Varun but also with my studies and a few of my assignments. And Sia takes care of Varun whenever I am at my job. We four would spend our Sundays together, going to the park, the movies or sometimes to the carnival whenever they were held.

I would spend my entire week, studying and working a part time job in a small cafe, just a few blocks from our home.

Life was never easy and it would never be perfect, but I am thankful that I decided to stay. Well, Alec Benjamin once said 'The world's not perfect but it's not that bad' If we have each other and that's all we have, I'll be your mother and I'll hold your hand, you should know I would always be there, with you and for you.