2: H I

D R I S H T I

College

The place where you were supposed to mingle with people along with building a plan for your future, was not so smooth for me. I always distanced myself from majority of the students and interacted with only a few students who helped me with the notes if I had to take a leave someday.

I wasn't much of a bright student since the starting but was average in my studies.  The college had organized a scholarship program in the mid of the second year to support the students who couldn't afford to pay the tuition fees. It was my opportunity to get the scholarship so that I could have some savings for Varun and myself.

Today was my scholarship exam for which I had been working so hard the entire month and when the exam sheet appeared in front of me, the first thing I did seeing it was going blank. Even if I was confident that I knew the answers, I saw the first question and decided that I couldn't do this.

With anxiety taking me over slowly, my hands started shaking badly and I felt the room around me spin round me, realizing that I was having my anxiety attack.

"Hey D" Our invigilator Mr. Daniel stopped by me and held my hand firmly in his. If anybody thought it was odd or uncomfortable then to make things clear, Mr. Daniel had always been like a father to me. He knew everything about me, about Varun and he was always there for me whenever I couldn't attend his lectures or had any trouble due to which I needes extra classes. Moreover he was the one who helped me preparing for this exam "You've got this my daughter. Just go the washroom and splash some water on your face. The anxiety has to go"

"Thanks Mr. Daniel" Smiling at him politely, I stood up from my seat and went straight to the washroom. "You can do this Drishti. You can and you will. For yourself. For Varun. You have to, There's no going back" after making a few more affirmations to myself I went back to the exam hall and settled down to write after drinking some water offered by Mackenzie, one of my classmates who mouthed me a 'best of luck'

Well, I didn't believe much in luck or destiny, I think whatever happens, we name it luck, or destiny. That's why we say 'we can change our own destiny' or 'we write our own destiny' But really funny how sometimes we allow others to page our destiny and destroy it.

"I will get it" I whispered to myself and started doing the questions that came in the exam.

The best thing was that I held my belief together and continued writing. It went pretty well as I thought it would be. Other students were still busy doing the exam so I left before I would be accosted by any person present there. Because today was my over shift at Mrs. Daniel's cafe where I would spend some free time studying every now and then.

Yeah, Mr and Mrs Daniel were also among those people whom I loved the most. They had been to our home many times but Varun did not get along with everyone due to which he would keep hiding behind me whenever we met them. Mr. Daniel would however laugh at his behavior and Mrs. Daniel would offer him a chocolate. Varun, who would otherwise be hesitant in front of them would be showing his teeth to them and taking the chocolates.

"Good morning Mrs. Daniel" I wished her as I entered the cafe and wore the apron to start my work. I would ususally call her Mrs. Daniel or sometimes by her real name, Lily.

"Good morning D" she greeted me with her ever beautiful smile and a warm hug. Everyone around would call me 'D' because they could not spell Drishti properly. "How was your exam?"

"Very well, Lily. I know I will get this scholarship"

"Very confident?"

"Yes I am. You know, I think it's better to be confident than clinging to false hope. I had put in a lot of efforts so that I don't end up regretting anything" I told her.

"Nice, now hush! Off to making my favorite chocolate shake for me"

"She had been waiting for you since a long time! We offered her some but she is so addicted to the shake you make!" Screamed another worker, Caleb from behind.

"And you, get your lazy ass to work!" She yelled back at Caleb and winked at me before going to the counter. "Add some extra sugar. I'm feeling sugary!"

"Yes mam!" I chuckled and started preparing her chocolate shake just the way she liked.

...

When the clock struck 9, Lily came to me and asked me to return home as she would take care of closing the cafe tonight. Since she was elder to me, I didn't start the arguement in which I was meant to lose. She handed me the money for my over time and blessed me bu keeping her hand on my head.

"Bye Lily"

"Bye D!"

I left the cafe and started walking towards home. The problem with walking home that time was that the street lights of our locality would be ususally flickering. The lonely streets and flickering streetlights made the surroundings a bit ghastly for me as I continued walking alone.

The street was usually busy at this time but due to the construction work nearby, it was relatively vacant with only a few people walking along the path. I would've bought a car by my savings but what was the use when Divya would fight with me and ask me to take hers whenever I needed. According to her 'What was she going to do with two cars?'

But yeah, it was stupid of me to walk at this time if night when just two weeks ago I heard of a kidnapping case near our college. Ok, near our hostel, but that didn't mean it couldn't happen there.

All thanks to God, I reached my place safely and as I was walking towards the door, I noticed our new neighbor who had just stumbled in front of his home and fallen down. "Are you okay?" I shouted and looked at him but he didn't care to look back or even reply.

The next moment he stood to his feet and walked towards his house once again but fell on his porch. I decided to run to him and help him and so I did. "Hi" I said, looking at his face covered by his hoody while he turned his face away from me.

"Go away" was all he had to say.

"Are you okay? Sir?" I tried helping him stand but he jerked my hand away and said he could helo himself. "Don't be si stubborn. Let me help" Ignoring every look of annoyance he passed me, I helped him stand and tried looking at his face but he turned it away, not allowing me any look. Well, okay.

"I can go now. You should leave" he said once we were at his door and I opened it for him by his keys that he gave me.

"But-"

"I said leave" he said politely and parted from my support, went inside and closed the door in front of me.

All I could think of was his weird behavior and the reason why he was hiding his face or how he got hurt. With these thoughts clouding my mind, I went to Sia's home to pick up Varun.