8: H A B I T U A L

D R I S H T I

It was equivalent to living my worst nightmare when I failed to find Varun in the house. I had been searching for him everywhere for an hour but he was nowhere.

For a moment my anxiety decreased when I thought that he must be at Divya's or Sia's but the very next moment it broke it's remaining heights when I called them and they declined my assumption.

Varun had never done something like this before. If he ever wanted to go somewhere he would ask me and take someone with him. But today he was missing and that was my matter of concern.

Sia showed up soon after the call while Divya was at the hospital. "D what happened? I mean, are you sure you checked everywhere? The closets? The garden?" Sia huffed being short of breath when she ran to my house.

"I've looked everywhere Sia. I don't know where he is. I want my Varun! I want my baby, Sia, I want my baby" I cried as she attempted to console me and wipe away the tears which seemed unstoppable.

The time was distressing for me, every single sound that came from any corner of the house gave me hope that it was my Varun hiding in there but reality always had something bitter planned. It was never Varun, I was not able to find in any corner.

My baby was missing

My life was missing

"Calm down Drishti, crying is not going to help. We need to go out and find him, maybe he is at the park" the same thought had already came to my mind but this sounded impossible to me.

"He never goes out alone Sia! Never, that too without telling me. The park is not that close that he will simply run to it. I want my baby! Just help me!" Things were difficult and my mind made it more difficult by stopping to process anything which would help me find my son.

My heart was still feeling that drop in it's normal throbbing, perspiration started increasing with every passing moment, adrenaline rushing through my veins and my stomach feeling that lump of nervousness.

"Let's check the surroundings Drishti. We can't just sit here and cry! Stop being so negative. Nothing will happen to our Varun!" Sia was right in her words.

I was Varun's mother. I needed to be strong and find my son, sitting here and crying was not going to help. "You're right Sia. Let's go and find him"

Walking towards the door with the same sinking heart and mentally stressed mind, I opened the door and went outside to find him. Just as I reached the footpath, the tears which were wiped off my face once again came to view seeing my lifeline laughing and coming towards me.

I could see Varun jumping on his way and speaking something without pause as he licked his ice cream. Beside him was Rakshiy who was holding another ice cream and smiling as both of them walked towards me.

They did not notice my presence from the distance and even on coming closer they kept on talking and looking at each other. They did not see me.

That did not matter to me all, all that mattered was that my son was in front of my eyes.

Rakshit and Varun were just four feets away from me, still engrossed in their merry conversations when I yelled out of anxiety and happiness "Varun!"

Varun stopped licking his ice cream and looked up at me along with Rakshit. "Ah aoo" He gave that sound effect and looked at Rakshit with please-save-me look. "Mo..mo..mommy I can explain"

He was explaining something which made no sense, included going to the park, and a few more things but the afraid look he had on his face showed how sorry he was. Varun continued mumbling when I ran to him and kneeled down to hold him in my arms. "Don't ever do it again" I was still crying but this time, it was because of the immeasurable amount of relief that my heart just experienced.