Chapter 22

Dipper

This morning seemed to be going very well. I sat outside, reading my journal. A gentle breeze blew by softly. I felt relaxed and rejuvenated from the lack of stress this morning. I propped myself up against a log in the clearing by the shack. I turned the page. "Ah, this is summer break." I sighed happily. My peacefulness was interrupted by Mabel.

"Yah it is!" She screamed loudly in agreement. She did a cartwheel and fell beside me. "You still reading the journal bro?" She asked me.

I rolled my eyes, but I was in to good a mood to be mad at her. "Well, it depends on what you see." I said slightly exasperated.

Mabel got up and did a summersault. "Weeeeeee!" She squealed as she tumbled around.

I couldn't help, but laugh at her silliness.

"C'mon Dip! Join meeeee!" She rolled again.

I looked around to see if no one was watching. I gave a sneaky smile and slipped the journal in my jacket. "Sure, but first," I leapt at her and started to tickle her.

She burst out into uncontrollable laughter. "Ssstooop!" She screamed.

I laughed as I tickled her.

"Cccaaan't BREATH!" She cried out between giggles.

I stopped tickling her.

Mabel sat up and started to hiccup.

I smiled so big, it had been a while since I smiled that big and laughed that much. I looked up and all that happiness drained away. "Mabel." I whispered.

"What?" Mabel whispered back. She hiccuped.

"Look..." I pointed toward the gift shop door.

It was Eleanor. She snuck carefully to the door. She glanced suspiciously around, as if checking that nobody was around. Eleanor opened the door, walked in and closed the door behind her.

Mabel got up with shock on her face. "Why is she-"

I cut her off. "Quick, let's see where she is sneaking off to."

Mabel nodded.

I felt bad for Mabel. She was wanting to be good friends with Eleanor, but something would always mess it up. I crept forward and after a few feet I reached the door and opened it. I peered in. There was no sign or trace of Eleanor. "What the?" I whispered quietly. I stepped in and tipped toed in. Eleanor was no where to be seen. I stood up straight and looked around.

"Where did she go?" Mabel wondered aloud.

I gazed around the room confused. "I don't know..." I sat on the floor. "Let's see if she comes back." I said.

Mabel sighed deeply and sat down with me.

We waited and waited and waited, for about fifteen minutes, but Eleanor just vanished.

I got up, my legs cramped up. "Let's go, this was stupid, she's gone."

"Ah! Thank goodness!" Mabel exclaimed relieved as she stretched.

I walked disappointedly to the door with Mabel following and we went back out.

Eleanor

I closed the laptop, proud of my progress. I smiled at my accomplishment, even though I wasn't finished yet.

"See, even you have to be proud of this." Bill whispered.

I sighed, knowing this was still a job, but I was happy I was doing this. "What ever." I was beginning to get use to, and even though it's hard to admit, beginning to except, Bill's presence. I set the laptop on the desk. Luckily, the times I had been down here I hadn't run into Stan.

I went to elevator and it escalated up to the stairs and I came up. I pushed the door open. I peeked out to see if anyone was there. I was lucky no tourist were in here at the moment. I came out and closed it and leisurely walked out.

Dipper

Me and Mabel ended up reading my journal again, since our mood had been ruined by that very peculiar event.

I jumped when I heard a door open. My head snapped up and I gasped silently as Eleanor stepped out. I slammed my journal shut and stuffed it in my jacket as I stomped over. "Eleanor!" I called out angrily.

Eleanor froze. "D-Dipper!" She said with obviously fake happiness to mask her shock.

"I need to ask you what were you doing in the shack? You snuck in a disappeared somewhere. Care to explain?" I knew I was being a little tough, but this secrecy was unneeded and I had enough of it.

"I, uh, you see..." She trailed off. I could see her shaking with fear.

"What? What is it?"

She started breathing hard. "I have to go." She took off running.

"Come back here!" I screamed after her.

Mabel grabbed my jacket and held me back. "Let her go, she can explain later. She's going to have to come back to us sometime."

I vibrated with fury, but settled myself down. I'll find out what you're up to...I can promise that.