Season 1 - Episode 2: Detective Jayden Collins

"Order for Y/N?"

You looked up from your phone and walked up to the counter to get your order. You thanked the barista for your coffee and croissant and took it with you. You began to walk out of the cafe, only to bump into someone and drop your the bag with your croissant.

"Oh shit- I am so so sorry." The guy apologised nervously. "It's okay, It's okay!" You replied quickly with a forgiving smile. The guy bent down, picked up the croissant and handed it to you. You took the croissant from his hand and looked up at him.

"I think I've seen you before- Wait aren't you the detective that was late to the uh- meeting yesterday?-" You asked.

~ Flashback ~

"I'm a pretty big Marvel fan, I also like uh- Y/F/S/B and-" You were then interrupted again by someone rushing into the briefing room with their coffee.

"Sorry I'm late! There was a lot of traffic on the way here-" Jayden paused as he looked at you. "Thank you, Detective. Please find a seat." Captain Holt instructed and the guy followed his orders by sitting down in the last seat available.

"Continue, please." Holt said, turning to you. "Oh, I was already done." You replied...

~ End of Flashback ~

He chuckled nervously. "Yup... That's me" He smiles awkwardly.

"I'm Jayden. Jayden Collins" He smiled putting his hand out for you to shake. "Y/N Santiago." You replied, smiling back at him and shaking his hand. You both stood there in silence for a moment. "Now we should probably head to work before the both of us get in trouble." You said, letting go of his hand quickly.

Jayden nodded in response and the both of you walked out of the restaurant and began heading to the precinct.
—————————————————————
The elevator arrived to the 4th floor and You and Jayden walked out of it. You both then walked into the bullpen together.

"Morning, Y/N" Terry greeted you. "Morning, Sarge" You smiled. You walked pass him and headed to your desk. While Jayden was heading to his desk, Terry looked at him surprised. "First time that you're actually here early, Jayden." Terry said.

"Well- I bumped into Y/N at Starbucks, and she offered to help me get to work." Jayden replied to Terry. Jayden turned to you, nodded and mouthed a 'Thank you' making you smile in response. Jayden then went over to his desk which was the one that he shared with you. You looked up from your work and saw him.

"I was wondering who shared this desk with me." You said to Jayden. "Oh. I wasn't really here because I had to interrogate some suspects" He replied, making you nod in response and look back at your work.

Jake then came over to you. "Good Morning, Y/N" He smiled at you. "Good morning, Jake." You replied, still looking at your work. Jake turned to Jayden and looked at him, quite puzzled. "You're here earlier than usual" Jake says, making Jayden nod awkwardly.

"I bumped into him at Starbucks and I offered to help him get to work." You say, looking up from your work and to your uncle. Jake mouthed an 'Ohhh' in response. "I'll come back for you in a minute. I just need to get something quickly." Jake says to you, patting your shoulder and walking away.

You then see Charles Boyle walk up to you and Jayden's desk with a smirk on his face. You and Jayden looked at him, tilting your head with a confused expression.

"Good morning, Charles.. What's with the smirk?" Jayden asked. "I hear that you guys came to work together? Sounds like there's a little love story development here.." Charles replied, crossing his arms and smirking. "Charles, we only just officially met at Starbucks. Relax." Jayden said, after rolling his eyes.

"Huh.." Charles replied with a suspicious smirk and walking away. "Sorry about him." Jayden said, looking over to you. You chuckled, "It's okay. I know he's like that a lot. He teased my aunt and uncle about their love story as soon as they first met". Jayden nodded and smiled. The both of you continued doing your work.

Jake then came back with his evidence and the case file. "Alright Y/N. Let's continue working on that case, shall we?" He asks smiling. You nodded in response and grabbed the evidence you gathered from yesterday and got up. "See ya, Jayden." You said to your desk mate and left to work on your case in the briefing room.
————————————————————
You and Jake discussed all of the theories that you had. You both studied the evidence for ages, pointing out information that completely ruined theories, moments of thinking silence that was then followed by more discussion.

It was around 5pm and You were working on the case while your uncle was on another break. You were looking blankly at the map, trying to come up with theories with the evidence presented in front of you. You were just about to come up with who the murderer was, only for it to be ruined with some complicated evidence.

You groaned in annoyance and leaned against one of the tables again while crossing your arms, restarting your theory again.

Jayden then walked in with a NYPD mug of coffee. "I got you some coffee. You've been working on this case for ages." He said, handing the mug of coffee to you. You turned to him and took the coffee from his hand. "Thanks" You said with a smile, taking a sip of it and then putting it on the table you were leaning on.

You and Jayden looked over to the board of evidence. String pinned against each part of evidence. "You need some help?" Jayden asked, turning to you. "I mean yeah, Me and Jake wouldn't mind it." You said, taking another sip of your coffee.

Jayden walked over to the evidence board and began to go through the information. You watched him go through all of it. He would go back to each part of evidence every now and then. After about 10 minutes, he finally came up with something.

"It was his neighbour" Jayden said, turning to you. You tilted your head in confusion. Jayden sighed.

"Remember how John's neighbour, Charlie developed a toxic friendship once they moved to the same apartment building together after high school?" He asked, making you nod in response.

"Well, apparently Charlie was seeking revenge of something that John did in high school. And it must've been really bad because he ended up murdering someone." Jayden said, as you went over to him. "What about the Swiss Army knife?" You asked.

"It's been in his hands since High school apparently which means..." Jayden said pointing out the information and turning to you. "Which means he must've gotten it when John did the thing that made Charlie so mad!" You continued Jayden's sentence, shocked.

"Thank you so much for helping- How do I repay you?" You ask, making Jayden shake his head and chuckle. "Don't worry about it. Now go show the evidence to Jake." Jayden replied with a smile. You kept thanking him while rushing out of the briefing room to find your uncle. Jayden smiled warmly and sighed as he watched you rush out of the briefing room.

"Cute"