Season 3 - Episode 2: Visiting

"Here's his room."

You thanked the nurse who led you to the room. They smiled back at you in response and walked away. You and Jayden stood in front of the entrance to the hospital room you were looking for.

Jayden waited for you to walk in for a few moments, but you didn't take a step at all. Jayden looked over to you and noticed the uneasy-looking expression on your face. He looked at you concerned, "Y/N? You okay?" He asked.

You finally answered Jayden, turning your head to him. "Yeah, I'm fine." You reassured. "It's just.. I haven't gotten the chance to see him since the incident." You sighed, looking back to the entrance of the room. "A-And just seeing him with all the wires hooked up to him is just going to remind me of my m-" You paused, not wanting to say something that will make you break down into tears.

"Well, I mean.. you can always come back when you're ready. I'll just be there with you for support as always" Jayden said with a small smile, making you look to him and smile back at him slightly. You then turned to the entrance once again.

You sighed and nodded to yourself a little before walking into the room.

You stepped into the room and saw your uncle Jake, laying there in his hospital bed. You gasped slightly, covering your mouth in shock. You've never seen him look so... weak. And it honestly hurt you a bit. One of the strongest people you know and love was currently in the hospital, wired up to machines.

You looked over to Jayden, nervous to go to your uncle. Jayden gave you a small nod. It was either an "Are you okay?" nod, or a nod that was encouraging you to go to sit on the chair next to your uncle. It might've been a nod sending both messages as well.

You sighed and went to go to sit on one of the chairs next to Jake's bed. You glanced over at your uncle, making you tear up a little bit. You looked down, continuing to tear up. You felt so guilty because you didn't protect him from the bullet. You hated yourself, thinking that you were the one who put him in this state.

"I'm sorry..." You whimpered, tearing up more.

Jayden watched you from behind as you cried. He felt sorry for both Jake and you. He obviously felt bad for Jake because well... He got shot. But he also felt bad for you. Not because he was being biased, but because you always felt so guilty. Nowadays, you apologised for everything. Even if something wasn't your fault.

Jayden went over to you and embraced you comfortingly. You looked away from Jake and began sobbing into Jayden's chest.
———————
"Are you okay now?..."

"Yup.."

It's been a few hours since You and Jayden left the hospital. The both of you were currently in your apartment while you were trying to calm down. Jayden was still there for emotional support.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He questioned, "Because I don't wanna find out that you got little to no sleep tonight." He said in a mockingly serious tone, making the both of you chuckle. "Jayden, I swear, I'm okay!" You replied with a small smile. He smiled, "Okay".

Jayden sighed, "Anyways, I gotta go..." He said sadly. You nodded, "Alright." You frowned a bit. You and Jayden shared a small hug. He then pulled away and went to the front door of your apartment.

"Go to sleep!" Jayden called out jokingly (and seriously) before walking out of the door. You chuckled in response.

As Jayden walked out of your apartment building, he felt his phone begin to vibrate in his pocket. He then quickly got into his car and closed the door behind him. He then grabbed his phone out of his pocket and saw that Captain Holt was calling him. Jayden answered the phone.

"Hey Captain!" Jayden greeted as he held his phone up to his ear.

"Good evening, Detective." Captain Holt responded.

"May I ask why you called? Is there something wrong?" Jayden asked, slightly concerned.

Holt sighed, "Come over to the precinct. We'll have a meeting here." He instructed.

"Okay then.. I'll be there in about 10 minutes." Jayden responded.

"Alright. Goodbye." Holt hang up the phone.

Jayden put his phone away and began to head to the precinct. Jayden felt like Holt was a bit nervous.
———————
"I do apologise for having you to come here this late at night."

"It's alright, Captain."

Jayden and Captain Holt were currently at the precinct, in Holt's office.

"May I ask why you called me here?" Jayden asked, slightly nervous. Captain Holt sighed, "Yes, about that.." He said, pulling out a folder full of evidence from under his desk. He then placed the evidence in front of Jayden.

"About 3 days ago, the security at the Jericho Supermax Prison reported that Thomas and Walter Howards have escaped." Holt informed, making Jayden look to him in shock. "No.. T-That can't be true.." Jayden denied, becoming more worried. Holt sighed, "It is unfortunately true".

Jayden grabbed the file and started to go through the evidence. Multiple photos of the security footage were provided. In the photos, he saw Thomas and his son escaping their cells, and then the prison.

"Well, what do we do?.." Jayden asked, continuing to look through the evidence. "I want you to become the lead detective on the case." Holt explained. Jayden's head shot up, "What?.."

"You're probably our last hope, Jayden. Our former lead detectives aren't in the right... emotional and physical state to handle this." Holt informed. Jayden nodded sadly, remembering you and Jake.

"In addition to that, I'm assuming you do know a lot more than the rest of us since you are close with Y/N." Captain Holt pointed out. He wasn't wrong. You did tell Jayden a few things about Thomas and Walter Howards. The both of you (besides Jake) were probably experts on them at this point.

"Look, I know you don't want to do this. But if you became the lead detective on the case, imagine the amount of lives you would save." Holt tried to convince him. Jayden wasn't sure what to say at this point. He wanted to do it, but he didn't want to leave anyone.

"Please.. Do it for Y/N.." Holt pleaded. Jayden looked to him and sighed,

"Fine... I'll do it."