Chapter 12

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

***************************

"You want to be my lady-in-waiting?" Annabeth repeated what Sir Rachel had asked.

"Yes, Your Highness. It would be a great honor to serve by your side." Sir Rachel said firmly.

Annabeth studied the beautiful knight before her. Though Sir Rachel's voice was steady, her green eyes had given her away. Sir Rachel was most likely being forced to serve as a lady-in-waiting, probably by her father.

After all, Sir Rachel was a decorated battle heroine who trained years as a knight and was among the top ranks. To throw away all the effort and honor of a knight to become a mere lady-in-waiting seemed laughable. The lady-in-waiting position was boring compared to swinging a sword and becoming a heroine. Honestly, Annabeth would have much rather Sir Rachel be the female protagonist of a story than Princess Alana. Besides, Annabeth didn't want another person as smart as Sir Rachel to notice that she was not the real Princess Annabeth.

"Your offer is kind and gracious, Sir Rachel," Annabeth said, gently. "But I am afraid I cannot accept it."

Rachel stiffened but her tone sounded like she expected it. "May I ask why, Your Highness? I heard that you have selected just one lady-in-waiting. My skills are not high but I would do my utmost best in serving you to the best of my capabilities."

"I don't doubt your skills, Sir Rachel. It's just that I am used to being independent and feel that just one lady-in-waiting is enough. In fact, I quite respect and admire your abilities. Would it not be better to continue to serve in your role as one of the knight commanders? You have spent so much time and effort to be in such a position, it seems a waste to throw it all away. I couldn't bear taking such a talented person away from serving His Majesty."

Sir Rachel paused, trying to see if what Annabeth said was the truth or if the princess just didn't want more ladies-in-waiting to be around the king. But in her position as knight commander, Rachel would be in much closer proximity to the king than she would be if she was a lady-in-waiting. Besides, serving the queen would put her under the queen's power. Was this princess not smart enough to think of this fact or did she truly not care? Princess Annabeth's sincerity had confused her.

As Sir Rachel didn't reply in time, Annabeth considered the matter closed.

"Then I shall consider that you understand my refusal."

"I understand, Your Highness." Sir Rachel said.

Annabeth detected a tone of relief in the knight's voice. Perhaps she had been worried that Annabeth would accept her as a lady-in-waiting. Annabeth clicked her tongue at Rachels' father. Another parent who uses their child as only tools to achieve their goals, just like the former dowager queen who wanted her son on the throne. Thinking about this, Annabeth realized she had never met this sickly Prince Triton.

Lucy looked like she wanted to say something after the knight left.

"What is it, Lucy? You look like you're trying to hide a frog in your mouth." Annabeth teased her.

Lucy pouted. "Please don't poke fun at me, Your Highness."

"Alright, alright, I'll stop. But tell me what you were going to say."

"May I ask why you didn't accept Sir Rachel as a lady-in-waiting? She is very experienced and would certainly be able to help you in your duties." Lucy said, tentatively.

"Well, in addition to the reasons that I listed earlier to Sir Rachel, I could tell that she didn't have her heart in the position. Besides, Sir Rachel's accomplishments are in the battlefield, but being in the social circles is a different kind of battle altogether. Lady McLean is often seen as a burgeoning social pillar in society, so her set of knowledge and skills are suitable here."