Chapter 16

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

**********************

Percy used the incident of a young woman accidentally spilling wine on him to pull down her family by saying they were not careful in their conduct. Her father and cousin were coincidentally two people the dowager queen had secretly tried to insert into the department overseeing foreign affairs. Sir Grover could only shake at the misfortune of this errant family. It was only a little bit of wine.

But who had allowed the young woman to spill wine not on the king's clothes but on his shoes so the woman could look bashfully up through her eyelashes and pat his shoes dry with her handkerchief? Who had told the young woman to conveniently let her breasts spill out over the top of her dress?

And to implement this daring but brainless plan on the king's own wedding day. They had to think about who was the king, and what his personality was like. Perhaps a lesser man than the king would have fallen into the trap of a beauty. So, who else could this family blame but themselves for choosing the wrong side and planning things so hastily? Idiots, that they were.

"Your Majesty," Grover whispered to Percy's ear. "Sir Rachel took care of the assassin that her father hired."

"I see. Understood," Percy only said, watching over the banquet hall.

The dance was still going on, but no one would mind that the king and queen were absent before the banquet ended. It was the wedding night after all.

He had already known about the hired killer a long time ago and had quietly let the matter be exposed to Rachel as a test. She had taken care of the assassin, as if to prove her loyalty, but she had also tied up any loose ends leading back to her father. Was this the love of a dutiful daughter?

Percy would have to quietly observe a little more. It seemed this was not the turning point to where he had been betrayed in his past life. It was only due to Percy's and Rachel's prior friendship that Percy did not arrest Marquis Dare just yet. The marquis was only a small branch that led to the larger, festering root. Percy would pull it all out in time.

"And the dowager queen?"

"The dowager queen mentioned a headache and went back to her quarters to rest." Sir Grover replied.

Ah, yes, Percy must have caused a headache for her by eliminating some of her supporters in his court. But he was also aware that Marquis Dare was not the only one to hire an assassin tonight.

Then there was the matter of Princess Alana and Prince Jason. Unlike his past life, Prince Jason seemed to find his blue eyes wandering over to a young brunette instead. Jason's expression had not been well after Alana had asked him for his first dance. When Jason kept being Lady McLean's partner for three total dances, Alana's expression had been polite but concealed in her blue eyes was a sort of fury. It seemed Tynan and Kiran would have far less cordial ties than before, and Percy would just have to stomach his past ill feelings towards the Tynan prince. Percy would have to thank the new queen of Eldoris for the far better than expected results of her experiment.

"And my queen?"

"She has also retreated to Dahlia Palace." Sir Grover said.

Initially, Percy had wanted to keep the queen at Gardenia Palace for safety reasons. His enemies would find it harder to insert nefarious people in his palace as opposed to Dahlia Palace. But he also feared that if he kept the queen at Gardenia Palace, it would signify to the Eldoris nobles that the queen was kept under the king's thumb. Dahlia Palace was a symbol to the Eldoris people of the power of the queen as a true ruler of Eldoris. If Dahlia Palace was kept empty, too many people would have the wrong sort of thoughts. The queen needed to be on equal status as the king.