Chapter 44

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

********************************

Annabeth wasn't sure whether she was dreaming or not. Whose memories were she experiencing?

There was an older man in the dream who sneered the few times he saw her. Otherwise, Annabeth was hidden away in the shadows, raised to be even lower than a maid. Somehow, Annabeth knew he was a king and her father. The queen of Kiran ignored her even more until she wanted something to amuse her, by which Annabeth would be taken out and forced to do humiliating and subservient actions. Princess Alana drifted out of her vision here and there, but Annabeth and her sister never had the opportunity to talk until they were at Eldoris.

All these memories were so vivid, so life-like and different from the narrative of Clarisse's novel. All this time, Annabeth had been viewing things as though she was an outsider, merely browsing through in third-person perspective. Now she was experiencing everything as though she were the original Kiran princess herself.

Every word of abuse or slap of pain was so realistic. When the original Kiran princess passed away from the attack on her carriage to Eldoris, the last memory was of meeting the King of Eldoris. His green eyes were shocked and held traces of bitterness as he held her hand, watching the last bit of her soul slip away.

Annabeth wanted to lift her hand up and pat the king's head. She was okay, she wanted to say. The original princess was free now.

Then the dream shifted into modern life in New York. Her earliest memories were a blur as a toddler. As a child, she was still happy. Much happier than that the original Kiran princess experienced. Her parents may have been divorced but each side took care not to make her feel all the emotions and turbulence that came with being the child with divorced parents. Annabeth became the adored daughter of two split families. She had friends, a burgeoning career. She had been typing on her laptop to review Clarisse's upcoming novel. Annabeth could almost hear the keys click-clacking underneath her fingertips.

Annabeth blinked. She had collapsed on a cold but familiar floor. It was unmistakably her expensive but tiny studio NY apartment. There was her winter coat, put away neatly in her closet.

Had she somehow returned to New York?

"I love you."

Somewhere in her unconsciousness swam those three words. A gentle smile with adoring green eyes. No. They were full of fear and concern now.

Yet, it felt like something was missing. But what?

Didn't the original Princess Annabeth want to feel loved? The man who whispered those words was clearly sincere.

Something twisted in Annabeth's heart. But part of her didn't want to go back to New York. If she did, it was like leaving a part of herself in that world. This was clearly throwing a wrench in their contract. Would the original Princess Annabeth come back then? Would Percy accept her? There was a part of her that actually...didn't want to let go.

What did all of these mean?

On the floor of her apartment, Annabeth's fingers twitched. If she wanted to, she still had enough strength to push herself up or dial 911. Instead, Annabeth closed her eyes and melted into unconsciousness once more.

She didn't know how long it was until she woke up again. Would it be back in NY or some bed in Eldoris?

Soft lips brushed against her forehead.

Oh.

She could feel an actual touch in this dream. Was this still her dream?

Annabeth mustered the strength to open her eyes. The king was sitting beside her, wiping sweat from her forehead.