Chapter 36

The king ignored them all, turning his attention to Annabeth only.

"My queen," the king greeted.

A palace steward quickly produced a chair and the king sat next to Annabeth.

"Have you been well, my queen?"

"I have been well, Your Majesty, thank you for asking."

Annabeth studied the king, whom she hadn't seen in a while besides knowing that he slept in their bed very late at night. He had dark shadows underneath his green eyes and his shoulders carried an air of tension. Annabeth quickly poured him a cup of tea which he took gratefully.

"You've worked hard. You look like you've lost weight. Have this sandwich."

How tough must the drought situation be for him to run himself this ragged? The king must be using his powers left and right to help with the drought situation.

"It could have been worse if you weren't here managing the situation at Eldoris Palace. Thanks to you, I feel like my burden has been lessened by more than half."

If he had not said this statement, Lady Ceto or Euryale would have used this opening to say that the queen was overworked and needed a helper by her side.

"Cousin Percy..." Lady Ceto tried to draw back the king's attention.

Lady Ceto hadn't noticed the king's fatigue, only turning her starry eyes towards the king's cold handsomeness. If she married the king, wouldn't she be able to have beautiful clothing and jewelry while living in such a beautiful place like this?

"I don't recall giving you permission to call my name, Lady...?"

Annabeth now bit her lips from laughing. What childhood sweethearts? Percy obviously didn't even remember this frivolous girl!

Grand Duchess Euryale reddened a bright shade of tomato that clashed with her purple dress. "Your Majesty, this is Ceto, my darling granddaughter! You remember her, right?"

"Ah," the king made a sound of vague acknowledgement.

He took his time in grasping Annabeth's hands. Both Grand Duchess Euryale and Lady Ceto spotted the casual intimacy. One frowned, while the other took on a look of jealousy.

"Ah, Lady Ceto. The one who tore her dress in a fight with the other young ladies when her flower arrangement didn't win first place?" The king said, at last.

Hazel choked on her cookie. Annabeth almost lost her cool as well. The king clearly remembered Ceto, but had just decided she wasn't worth his time. Lady Ceto flushed.

"You will do best to remember the behavior befitting of your station, Lady Ceto." The king said firmly.

"Y-yes, Your Majesty."

The king ignored Lady Ceto and smiled at Lady Hazel. "How have you been, Lady Hazel? I recall that your equestrian skills were quite splendid at last year's Festival of Bounty."

Hazel smiled. "Thank you for remembering me, Your Majesty. I hope that I will not disappoint with my meager skills this time."

"I am sure you won't."

Fearing that the situation had gone sour, Grand Duchess Euryale interjected.

"Your Majesty, it has been such a long time since I came back to Eldoris Palace. Really, I haven't had much time to come back to Carmellia Palace."

Marigold Palace was the mansion designated for the children of the king. Euryale had lived there for her childhood until she married.

"Wisteria Palace is just as beautiful." Grand Duchess Euryale praised.