Chapter 33

When morning came, Annabeth was surprised to find that the king was there in bed for once. He was already awake, as evidenced by his hand soothingly patting her shoulders.

"Awake, my queen?" A deep voice called.

The king was sitting up in bed, one hand stroking her shoulder, the other holding some documents to read. He was already dressed up.

Annabeth blinked the drowsiness out of her eyes and slowly sat up. The king helped her, pulling her so she was leaning against his body.

"Good morning," he said with a soft smile.

"Good morning," she returned, looking down from his face as she was a little shy from last night.

All she could think of right now was "WTF, Clarisse." Of course, the novel had some very explicit scenes, but never had Annabeth expected that she herself would be starring as the main participant. How did Clarisse have the power to make every male lead, even the villain, be as experienced as they were?

Her voice was a little hoarse, probably because she had cried out a little too much last night. The king handed her a cup of water and she gratefully drank it to quench her thirst. Thankfully, she wasn't too sore as the king had fed her a stamina potion last night or else she might not have the energy to get out of bed all day. The king, however, had looked rather refreshed after he had bedded her.

The king sighed and pressed a few kisses on her forehead. "I can understand why the philosophers once said that a lover could be the downfall of a kingdom. I don't really want to go to court right now."

He nuzzled her cheeks, fully content after eating her up yesterday. Annabeth wiggled in his arms as his hands were beginning to be naughty again. Give a man an inch, and he would want a mile. She would forgive him this once, since she couldn't deny it felt good. Last night was like a hot and erotic dream that would be imprinted in her mind forever. She doubted that she could ever find another lover as skilled as the one sharing her bed now.

"I'm flattered but you can't neglect your kingdom, Your Majesty," she lightly reprimanded him, though her own hand temptingly explored his chest.

She really liked feeling up his firm muscles. There were a few pink marks from where she had kissed his skin from last night.

"I don't want to neglect the queen, either," he said with a lascivious grin. "But I suppose I do have a lot of work piled up."

He threw her a look full of regret that hinted that had there not been the unpleasant obstacle of work, he would have gladly tumbled her in the sheets for a few more rounds.

The work for the Festival of Bounty truly began to start. Annabeth looked over the grounds where the equestrian and horse polo competitions were to be held, then ordered any repairs. Then, she had to allocate the lodgings for any foreign dignitaries invited to the festival. Prince Jason was on the list, much to Lady Piper's joy.

Both she and the king were running here and there to prepare for the festival, as well as alleviate any problems the Eldoris citizens encountered. Annabeth cursed the king all day as she worked through her sore waist and thighs.

After that explosive and passionate night, the king didn't ask for another round of love-making. There had been a drought in three counties of Eldoris, so the king would travel to those regions and use his hydrokinesis to relieve some of the drought impacting the agricultural fields before he came back to the palaces. Annabeth had been woken up sometimes as the king crawled into bed with her, held her in his arms and slept before waking up early once more and leaving to tend to another area affected by drought. She would be lying if she said she didn't want to experience the mind-numbing sex from before, but both she and the king were too drained to do more than a few chaste kisses before sleeping.