Chapter 14

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

*******************

Princess Alana brushed back the carriage's curtains to look at the outside. Catching a glimpse of the beautiful princess, the peasants on the streets gasped and pointed like the uneducated filth they were. Thankfully none of them dared approach the carriage due to the armed knights around the carriage.

When the curtains closed again, Alana's pleasant smile dropped. Somehow the Eldoris peasants were even filthier and uglier than the Kiran ones. It reminded her of how she hated to be outside the Kiran royal palace. Were it not for the Kiran king commanding her to go to attend the Eldoris king's wedding, she would not even be outside right now. Even worse was that her husband, now her father, was so spineless that he had decreed not to do anything drastic in the wedding.

Coward. If she could, Alana would have usurped the throne or Kiran directly had not there been political enemies lurking in the shadows like Prime Minister Alexander, waiting for the right opportunity to strike. Despite the prime minister's gaffe of failing to kill Princess Annabeth, the prime minister was still powerful enough to minimalize the damage to his reputation and influence.

Her personal escort knight, Sir Luke, pulled his horse up to the carriage to whisper through the window.

"Princess, should we not speed up? We will hardly be on time for the wedding ceremony to start." He said.

"No, this pace is good. If we go any faster, my stomach won't feel so good." Alana made a pitiful expression. "My powers don't seem to heal me as much as I thought it would."

Sir Luke peered at his princess. She did indeed seem frail and paler than usual, like a delicate flower waning in the sun.

"I will have the procession stop to get some more medicine. The last town's medicine didn't seem to be effective. As expected of Eldoris' inferior quality of goods compared to Kiran's."

Alana hid a smile.

"Thank you, Sir Luke. You have my eternal gratitude." Alana lowered her eyes so she could peek out shyly from underneath her golden eyelashes. "You're always so good to me."

"It is my duty, Princess."

As Sir Luke turned away to get some more medicine, Alana spotted the back of his neck which had turned red in embarrassment. With sandy blonde hair and blue eyes, the knight was revered as one of the most handsome men in Kiran. It was a pity that his status was only a knight, and he came from the commoner class.

Still, how easy to handle, Alana thought. But she needed to attract people with power and status. It was a good thing that the wedding of her brainless half-sister also created the perfect meeting to socialize with foreign sovereigns who could help her achieve her goals. One of the most important persons was the crown prince of Tynan.

It was Tynan and Kiran that bordered Eldoris. It wasn't as if Alana hadn't thought about marrying the Eldoris king and then eventually taking over Tynan, but Alana had heard how the Eldoris king was embroiled with internal strife over the throne. Alana was far too lazy to deal with handling the Eldoris dowager queen at the moment. So if she could marry Tynan's prince and then invade and conquer Eldoris, then Alana could create an even bigger kingdom encompassing all three nations. And then after that, through several generations of transplanting her soul into her future daughters' bodies, then she, Circe, would eventually rule over all the lands. She would no longer need to bow to anyone else.

Besides, she had brought some amusement along for this trip. Alana's eyes shifted to Luke who was on his way back with the medicine. Years ago, Alana had caught her elder sister with a flushed and bowed face towards Luke. Mistaking Annabeth for a maid, the knight had merely helped Annabeth up after she had tripped and given his handkerchief for her cut knee.