Chapter 34

A/N: I own the plot. Enjoy!

*************************************

Marquis Thomas Dare came back home from a long meeting with some business people.

His butler bowed. "The young lady is here and is waiting for you in your study."

Marquis Dare paused as he was taking off his coat. Why was his daughter in his study? If she wanted to meet with him, then she could wait in the parlor.

He headed to his study. It was dimly lit with a small fire in the fireplace. Rachel was sitting in his chair behind his desk.

Marquis Dare frowned. It was hard to see his daughter's expression in the dim lighting.

"Rachel, my daughter. Why are you in my study without my permission? You know I don't like it when other people enter without me saying so. I'm very tired tonight, so I don't have time for your childish games."

Marquis Dare went to a side cupboard and began taking out a bottle of bourbon after lighting a few candles. Rachel didn't say anything, her green eyes dark.

"Rachel? Why are you still here? Didn't I say that-"

Rachel abruptly threw a stack of papers on the desk. Marquis Dare's temper flared up. Now his daughter was throwing a temper tantrum?

"Why don't you read this and see what good things you have been doing, Father?"

"What?" Marquis Dare paused.

He picked up the nearest document and began reading.

Rachel watched as her father suddenly paled.

"T-this, this is-"

"Didn't I tell you last time, Father, that your last assassination attempt wasn't going to work? I warned you, Father."

In those documents listed Marquis Thomas Dare's crimes, ranging from attempting to kill the queen on her wedding day, taking in bribery from other officials, and the latest crime, bribing a woman with similar looks to the Eldoris queen to plant infertility drugs and to seduce the king.

"I was the one who killed the assassin that night of the wedding, if you were wondering," Rachel said, coldly.

All his life's work to raise his daughter as queen was crumbling before his very eyes. His wife had long passed away, so the marquis thought that to protect his daughter, he would raise her to the highest position in Eldoris. Where had he gone wrong?

"Y-you traitorous-!" Marquis Dare could only yell. "How could you!"

Didn't his daughter want to be queen, too? Marquis Dare knew that she loved that damned king!

"Why are you always rebelling against me when I'm doing this for your own good?"

"My own good?" Rachel scoffed. "You've never viewed me as your daughter, just a tool for you to use to gain more power. The only traitor here to Eldoris is you, Father. Mother would have been devastated to see what you've become."

There was sadness and fatigue in her voice.

"Your mother would have agreed!" He hissed.

Rachel just stared at him before bringing out another document with the king's seal in red wax.

Marquis Dare unfolded the document and felt like a sword was stabbing him.

"No...you can't do this. He can't do this! You have to stop this!"

His title was being taken away. Marquis Dare was now demoted to that of a commoner. Everything he had worked for to keep the Dare name in the ranks of high nobility was vanishing into dust.