Chapter 15

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

********************

When the Kiran procession rolled into the royal palace, the wedding was already over. Princess Alana stepped out and waited for palace attendants to loudly announce her presence per palace protocol. However, no one did, much to her ire and impatience. Instead a single attendant only came out and ushered them inside the banquet hall without announcing her name.

Princess Alana frowned. She had planned the announcement to gather as much attention as possible before the crowning ceremony could start. But the people inside the banquet hall were chatting freely, laughing and eating on delicate cheese and wine. No one paid attention to the latecomers from Kiran. The two thrones at the top of the banquet hall were empty.

"If you could come this way, Your Highness, His and Her Majesties are receiving well wishes at the front."

Alana's expression darkened momentarily before recovering smoothly. Did that mean the crowning ceremony was over?

"Oh? Has my sister been crowned already? There's still time before three o' clock, isn't it?"

The attendant bowed. "Replying to Her Highness, the crowning ceremony happened right after the wedding in the morning."

Alana's face became stony. Luke, who was escorting her, noticed her unhappiness.

"How rude to start the ceremony without Her Highness. Don't you realize that your queen is her sister?" Luke demanded.

"Our apologies. All the other guests had arrived yesterday per the invitation so we naturally assumed Kiran's delegation had arrived as well." A female voice interjected gently. "I didn't know that my dear sister would be late to my wedding."

The king and new queen of Eldoris had approached. Alana studied the handsome Eldoris king, whom she had once considered for marriage. His brow was strong, indicating his personality. He would not have been easy to control as the prince of Tynan or Luke would be. But as for her sister...

Annabeth was smiling brightly and innocently, no longer showing any sign of fear that she used to. How Alana hated seeing those grey eyes staring so straightforwardly back at her. If only Alana could gouge them out. Those same grey eyes in Annabeth's mother had captivated the Kiran king once until Circe had gotten rid of that errant maid.

What was even more unnerving was the fact that Annabeth had not taken a single glance at Sir Luke by Alana's side, as if Luke was someone insignificant. This was not the reaction Alana had planned.

It was also Annabeth who had spoken as well. Her woods hinted that it was Alana's fault for being late. Back in Kiran, she would have never dared to speak that way. Only now she had the support of the Eldoris king.

"I apologize, sister. The long trip made me feel unwell. But I am glad that you look well, sister," Alana said. "Seeing this, I am relieved that you have quite adjusted to Eldoris."

"Do I? It must be due to all the care from my husband." Annabeth and the king shared a tender glance that had Alana sicken on the inside. "I must also thank you, dear sister, for the love and care you have sent me all these years. I will make sure to repay what you have shown me a hundred times. It's only fair, don't you think?"

For the first time, Alana felt slight trepidation at Annabeth's smiling face, though those grey eyes were certainly putting up an innocent facade. If anyone else had heard those words, they would think the sister pair was just exchanging tender words. But Alana couldn't tell whether Annabeth meant revenge for how she had been treated due to the guileless expression in Annabeth's face. What had happened in the weeks between her weak willed sister being sent to Eldoris for her to change that way? Annabeth used to tremble and shake at a simple stare from Circe.