Chapter 38

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

***************************************

When the day of the Harvest of Bounty arrived, the weather was the perfection of a summer day. The palace staff had been busy running errands, making sure that precautions were taken place. Percy especially wanted to make sure that no one could take advantage of the hustle bustle to make trouble. Every time there was a large event, there was an opportunity for enemies to insert spies or make assassination attempts.

Blackjack and Guido were brought out from the stables after being curried and primped. The king and queen were symbols of Eldoris, and their horses were also seen as representatives.

"Are you ready?" Percy asked the queen.

The queen nodded. She had been training for a few weeks now, enough to stay on a horse properly. There was no need for her to take part in the equestrian competition or archery competition. She could learn the advanced skills later.

"Are you going to participate in any of the competitions, Your Majesty?" The queen asked as she swung herself onto Guido. She looked like Hippolyta with her new riding outfit.

Percy shook his head to get the image out of his mind and followed suit on Blackjack. "I haven't participated in the equestrian since I was proclaimed king, but maybe I'll join in the polo competition. But I did win in all the equestrian competitions that I competed in."

Annabeth laughed. "How humble of you," she joked. "What about archery?"

Percy laughed. "Trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near me if I'm holding a bow and arrow. Skills with a sword do not translate well into skills of archery."

The procession carried out of Eldoris Palace and into the capital. The capital was decorated with blooming flowers and banners. Hawkers were yelling their specialties while children darted about watching plays and dancing to music.

The king and queen sat aside their horses, waving at the people who had gathered out onto the streets to watch the colorful parade of knights in neat columns behind the monarchs. The queen waved her hands at the cheering people, reminded of when she first entered Eldoris on her carriage.

Finally, the royal procession ended in the meadows just outside the capital of Eldoris. Colorful tents were set up, dotting the green fields like colorful flowers. Bright red and white targets were set up by the edge of the meadow for the archery competition while another section of meadow was set aside for the equestrian and polo competition.

Out of the corner of his eye, Percy spotted the blonde head of the crown prince of Tynan heading their way. Of course, as part of his daily reports, Percy knew that the lady-in-waiting of his queen was in frequent contact with the prince of Tynan. Well, it wasn't too bad to nurture this relationship. There were a few things that Percy wanted to negotiate with Tynan, and using the upcoming engagement of the crown prince of Tynan could be quite useful.

"I greet Your Majesties," Prince Jason said.

"I greet Your Highness," Percy returned. "It has been some time since we last met."

"Indeed. Thank you for inviting me to enjoy the festival."

The queen turned to Lady McLean. "Perhaps His Highness is in need of an escort. Would you mind showing him to his designated tent, Lady Piper?"

"I would be honored to." Lady McLean curtsied gracefully.

Lady McLean led the prince away who walked away with a subtle spring in his step like an obedient puppy. Subtly when the two thought no one was watching, Lady McLean put her hand behind them and the prince quickly laced their fingers together.