Chapter 30

A/N: I own the plot. Enjoy!

**********************************

The queen was resting on the red chaise that he had ordered to be placed in various rooms. Seeing him, she pulled herself up lazily and leaned against the one curved armrest. Percy sat down next to her, resisting the urge to pull her onto his lap. She was wearing that bright and fresh citrus fragrance that he liked. Sometimes floral fragrances were too cloyingly sweet, just like the perfume the dowager queen preferred to wear.

"I heard you met with Lord Christopher," Percy said.

There was an inkling of worry in him. What if it was revealed that he went to ask the wizard lord because of his suspicions that Annabeth was not who she said she was? All the trust he had tried to build up would be gone in an instant.

Of course, what he had thought was despicable. He didn't trust her, and yet was asking her to trust in him. A real hypocrite, that he was. His two lifetimes had taught him to trust barely anyone. As a man and husband, his actions could have been seen as unforgivable. As a king, he would have been praised as cautious and wise. But to balance both was always a difficult thing.

In addition, Percy was also pissed that the dark wizard lord had enchanted the queen without informing him. The lord had moved far too fast for Percy to intercept or protest. The situation could have easily turned dangerous had the wizard lord been an enemy. He felt useless again, unable to protect the people who put their trust in him.

But the dark wizard's answers had also directed Percy towards the route he sought. Perhaps even on the inside, he knew he was going to go down that path regardless of the answers he received.

"Hmm? Oh, yes. I suppose yesterday night's discussion didn't go as well considering I fainted." The queen replied.

Percy kept his expression steady. "It's no matter. As long as you are feeling well."

"Yes. That's what Lord Christopher wanted to meet with me for. He just wanted to check on me after I fainted last night."

He noted that the queen didn't say what the wizard lord wanted to meet her for at first. Percy didn't press her. After all, he had secrets, too, that he couldn't tell her. So he kept his expression neutral as the queen's gaze landed on him.

"Hmmph, it's almost as if Lord Christopher doesn't trust the physicians here to take care of you."

'Well, I did faint within ten minutes of meeting him," the queen said, dryly.

Perhaps it was time to switch topics. "The Festival of Bounty is approaching soon," he said.

"Yes, I've been preparing for it."

Eldoris had four large festivals, one for every season. Summer hosted the Festival of Bounty, right at the time where the vegetables and fruit were growing at their best. Usually, there would be a fishing or boating competition at the largest lake nearest the Eldoris palaces, after the fiasco of the boat flipping, Percy had nixed that idea. Instead there would be an equestrian and archery competition. He himself was never the best archer, but the competition was not for the royal family to succeed in, but for the nobility to compete in and receive gifts.

"How are your equestrian skills?" Percy questioned.

"Frankly terrible," the queen admitted. "I'm not sure how I managed to ride a horse that one time. I'm not sure if I won't embarrass myself at the festival."

Her form wasn't too bad, Percy thought. Who cared about proper posture if one had never learned and was running for her life?

"Let's go to the stables," Percy decided.