Chapter 22

A/N: I own nothing. Enjoy!

*******************

Percy always seemed to have a good mood whenever he left Dahlia Palace. It was refreshing to be able to abandon his image of an invulnerable king for a while. Slowly, he would chip away at that frosty barrier she had put around her. He knew that he wasn't in love with her. At the most, it was just physical attraction between business partners or friends. He could see it in those strikingly sharp grey eyes of hers. For a brief moment, she, too, had been drunk in that haze of pleasure. If they hadn't been interrupted, how far could they have gone?

He doubted that with all the burdens of being king, he could afford that silly romantic notion of love. Love didn't exist for the royalty. At the very least, they could be respectful partners. But as to how trustful they could be to each other... Percy wanted to give the queen the benefit of doubt.

However, he also knew that his slightly more deferential treatment of the queen meant that made her the biggest target. Fortunately, he had let the rumors spread that the queen was tyrannical, helping to stay away from most of the assassins sent.

Unfortunately, Percy's good mood from Dahlia Palace did not last long by the time he reached Gardenia Palace. He looked at the report Sir Grover placed on his desk, lightly tapping the table as he pondered.

The dowager queen's birthday banquet plans had to be carefully examined. Of course, the dowager queen's officials would send over their proposed budgets and itinerary, but what was in Percy's hands were the secret information sent by his spies in Marigold Palace.

"She hired a troupe of special dancers again, huh?" Percy muttered as he lit the secret note on fire to get rid of the info.

Sir Grover furrowed his brows. To his knowledge, the dowager queen had never hired dancers before.

These dancers were a mixture of talented commoners and noble ladies the dowager queen had selected. Percy knew them well. After all, she had hired nearly the same set of people from his previous life.

Calypso Nereid. Percy's eyes fell on this name as an old memory flashed through.

"I'm so sorry, Your Majesty...I'm so sorry..."

Calypso's dark eyes were frantic and pleading as she clutched the knife now dripping with Percy's blood.

"She would have sold me off, I'm so sorry!"

Percy grunted, grasping at his arm. The cut wasn't deep, but the knife Calypso used was poisoned. Of course, with Percy's level of immunity, the poison merely dulled his senses. But it was enough to delay his reactions against the assassins sent to him after. All around Percy and Calypso littered the bodies of the assassins.

There were three more assassins left. Percy slashed at one, taking the black clothed killer by surprise when an additional burst of water enveloped the killer's face and entered his lungs. The second darted forward. Bearing the burning pain that was surging through his lungs, Percy parried the blade of the second assassin before stabbing the killer in the chest.

"Ah!" Percy screamed in pain as the third attacked from behind.

But the third assassin never made it to the final blow of the Eldoris king as Calypso lunged forward, grabbing at the assassin's legs and causing him to stumble. In anger, the assassin swung his sword at Calypso, who collapsed to the floor. Percy quickly finished the last assassin in the few seconds of distraction, spraying Calypso with flecks of blood.

Calypso was still breathing, but her breaths were labored. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty..."

Percy cursed as the caramel haired beauty's chest rose up and down for the last time in his arms.