Chapter 29

A/N: I own nothing but plot. Enjoy!

**********************************

Lord Christopher chuckled even though there was a sword tip underneath his chin. A little line of red appeared above the tip as the sword dug in further. All the water in the room had turned into icicles and were pointing at his body. The furious king of Eldoris was holding his wife in his other arm.

"Calm down, Your Majesty. It is simply a trance spell for me to be able to do what you asked me to do. Probing into one's soul is not easy to do if one is conscious. She will wake up in a few hours."

The king of Eldoris clearly didn't want to believe in his words, his green eyes full of mistrust.

"I swear this upon me that I will not harm the queen. I accepted your deal, haven't I, Your Majesty? I am merely fulfilling the second and far more interesting portion of the deal," Christopher said. "Besides, I gather that you would much rather the queen not know of what you have asked me to do, no?"

"If you hurt her, I will not rest until your body is in pieces," the king growled. His green eyes were ferocious like a beast's. "Don't you ever do that again."

"You have my word," Christopher promised.

Truth to be told, Princess Alana from Kiran had already sent word through the prince of Barinia that she would like to form a partnership with him. But King Perseus' offer had intrigued Christopher more. Both had offered crystal mines, but Christopher's scientific curiosity was piqued at the mention of a soul perhaps inhabiting another. This was the first time that something had changed from his previous lives.

King Perseus lowered his sword, but he maintained his vigilance. The icicles in the air didn't dissipate.

The wizard lord took out his handkerchief and wiped his throat. Tch, Christopher thought. How testy this king was.

Under the king's watchful eyes, Christopher carefully touched the queen's forehead and inserted a bit of his magic and furrowed his brow at what he had found.

If the elder princess of Kiran had another soul switched into her body, then whoever had done this was a great magic wielder. Every soul had different auras. When souls were switched, the imbalance of the souls in the bodies would produce side effects such as nausea and blood vomiting. Eventually, both bodies would decay after a few decades at the longest.

Yet, in this body, every bit of the soul fitted perfectly. The queen was healthy when he probed her soul, albeit a little weak because of the years of abuse the elder Kiran princess had faced.

How strange. The soul fit this body, yet there was an indelible trace of magic. How very interesting.

King Perseus frowned slightly as Christopher told him his findings, leaving out the part about the magic. "So there isn't another soul in there? She's Annabeth for sure?"

"Well, I can assure you that the queen is no puppet, Your Majesty. Either this is truly the former princess Annabeth of Kiran, or whoever placed another soul in her body was able to find a soul so carefully matching to this body. The chances of that are next to nil."

But not impossible.

A myriad of emotions flickered in the king's face, but the one that stood out the most was relief.

Christopher smiled. His answer to the king was not a 100% confirmation or rejection, but just enough words of truth to let the king believe whatever he wanted. Besides, judging by how the king put the queen under his protection meant the king wouldn't have done anything even if the soul in the queen's body was not the real Kiran princess.