Kabanata 07

Kabanata 07

Unfair

The idea of following someone has never crossed my mind. I have never done this. I have never imagined myself stalking someone. I kind of feel embarrassed following him.

Hindi naman 'to siguro considered stalking... nakita ko lang naman siya tapos sinundan ko.

I sighed as I looked at Tariq who was walking toward somewhere—or should I say someone else. I was hiding casually and following him at the back. Well, I'm just confused earlier after school because he went the wrong way that's why I followed him.

I wonder where he was going.

Suddenly, a memory came up in my mind...

My lips parted.

Oh my god, magkapatid nga talaga kami. I remember the time when Kuya was also following Oren the time when he was in love with her... ew.

My forehead creased, even more, when I saw him entered a café. Don't tell me magpapaka-chill siya sa loob no'n?

Before I entered the café, I read first the name of it before pulling through the entrance door.

Happiness Tea Shop.

What was he doing here?

I secretly sat down at a table good for two people. I covered my face with a book I got in my backpack. I saw him talking with a woman who I think is a 30-year-old one.

I think she's the owner or perhaps the manager of this café.

I walked close to them and transferred to the table placed closer to where they were talking. Without him noticing I was at his back, I secretly listened to what they were talking about while still holding and covering my face with a book.

"I know you, aren't you... my nephew's classmate?" the woman asked.

Nephew? Who's nephew?

"Opo, pero nag-transfer na kasi ako," I heard Tariq answer.

"I see, Sienna?" the woman asked again. From his back, I saw how Tariq nodded. I bet he's smiling in front of her.

"Pagsasabayin mo ang pag-aaral at trabaho? Mukhang mahirap, last time my nephew and his friend also worked here pero summer job iyon. Ang pagiging working student ay hindi biro."

What? Tariq's going to work on a part time job? Hindi pa ba sapat ang pinapasweldo ni Mommy kay Manang Nora?

As far as I know, eight thousand 'yon every month. Kung tutuusin, sobra-sobra na 'yon bilang isang maid. Iyong iba ngang mayayaman din five thousand lang ang pinapasahod.

"Kaya ko naman po, kailangan lang talaga ng pera." I heard Tariq answered.

My shoulders slowly dropped, and my lips parted from what I heard. I don't want to pity Tariq's situation, but I felt sorry.

I have never understood a working student's situation before. I have never known how hard for people like Tariq to live a life without worrying about money.

I was nourished with a silver spoon in my mouth, so I never knew how hard it felt.

He was needed for money. The salary my mom had been paying for his mother isn't enough for him and his younger sister.

"Sige, kailan ang gusto mo magsimula? May head chef ako sa loob and he'll teach you about the rules and anything, siya na ang bahala sa 'yo," the woman added.

"Pwede naman akong magsimula ngayon, ma'am. Kung okay lang po," Tariq replied.

"Are you sure? If that's what you want, then okay. So, your duty will start from 6 PM to 10 PM, are you okay with that? I'll discuss the rest when I go back later."