Kabanata 27

Kabanata 27

Kaya Pala

Everyone would have thought that I had the perfect family. A loving father, a caring mother, and a protective brother. People probably wished to have a family like mine — complete and happy.

But little did they know, I have been craving the same thing. All I want is to have a perfect family or to at least have a happy family where each member genuinely cares for the other.

I looked up and stopped myself from packing all of my things. Kuya walked close to me and seemed worried about seeing me, planning to move out.

"Are you moving out? What happened?" he asked.

I didn't look directly into his eyes and couldn't bear to meet his eyes either. I just... can't. I quickly wiped the tears that urged me to fall down my cheeks.

"What happened?"

I faced him, still, not meeting his eyes.

"I'll stay at Keevah or Reighn. I won't stay here for a while," I answered, suppressing myself from cracking my voice.

"You were suspended, I think Keevah's mom—Tita Lana, won't allow it. Why are you moving anyway? Did Mom hurt you? Did she yell at you—"

"Stop..." I cut him off.

"Stop worrying about me. Just go to school now and study. 'Wag mo 'kong gayahin," I added.

His forehead wrinkled even more.

"Sonnet, can you please tell me what's happening? And you don't call me Kuya," he mentioned.

I don't know if I can still call him Kuya.

"I just wanted to spend my suspension freely. I'll move out because this house stresses me. Magbabakasyon lang ako," sagot ko sa kanya.

Sinubukan ko pang ngumiti para naman hindi niya mahalata na nagsisinungaling ako sa kanya.

"You're lying. You're a liar. Please, be honest with me. Kakampi mo ako, kapatid mo ako—"

I cut him off, "Hindi." My voice cracked.

"Huh?"

"We're not siblings," I answered, honestly, while still packing all of my things.

"What?"

"We're not siblings. You're not my... Kuya and I are not your little sister." I can't really stop myself from stammering and cracking my voice.

From the very start, I have known him as my Kuya. The Kuya who always protects me. The Kuya who always cares for me... my selfless Kuya.

But all this time, he was just a complete stranger to me.

Dad was also a stranger.

They are all strangers to me.

"What do you mean, Sonnet!?" he yelled and forced me to face him.

I completely found the courage to face him eye-to-eye. Teary-eyed, facing him, with all the courage I have.

"You are not my brother. I am not dad's daughter or mom's. Isa lang akong anak na inako ni Dad..." My voice broke.

I couldn't help but break out and let my uncontrolled tears flow down my cheeks. I stood up and immediately walked out of his eyesight leaving him alone, who was frozen at the moment.

***

I turned my phone off with irritation. I deeply sighed as I looked up at a small tidy apartment which was the exact address of what Tariq gave me.