Kabanata 23

Kabanata 23

Dilemma

My mind went blank as I tried to puzzle things up. My heart started to race, and I could even hear its beat. I stood up as my hands started to tremble, but I kept on thinking in a positive way.

"Anong meron?" Tariq asked from behind.

I didn't answer him and immediately opened the door.

I stepped back the moment I saw what greeted me behind those closed doors. My lips separated as I stared at a woman who was smiling at me. I followed her gaze that landed on Tariq.

"M-mom," I stammered.

I wouldn't be even surprised if she already knew everything about the thing I had with Tariq. I suddenly remembered what she said to Tariq when we all had dinner together. She gave us a warning. She warned Tariq not to get close to me.

But our relationship crossed over the line...

I swallowed and raised my left eyebrow at her. I tried to remain calm and face her with all the courage I have.

"What are you doing here? Can't you see how busy we are? Do you need anything?" I started.

Thank God I didn't stammer.

I felt the presence of Tariq who walked and stood next to me.

"Stop being so strong in front of me, Sonnet. Are you two in a relationship?" she asked and burst into laughter.

"Ano naman ngayon?" I asked her and watched her grin. What makes me frightened is that grin.

She took a glance at Tariq.

"Tariq, didn't I say the last time na hindi ka pwedeng makipagkaibigan kay Sonnet?" she asserted.

I looked at Tariq and I saw how he gulped.

"Hindi po ibig sabihin na nagtatrabaho kami para sa inyo... dapat niyo na ring diktahan ang buhay ko — namin ng anak mo," he answered.

Mom gasped and her lips frowned.

"Sorry, Tariq... I don't want my daughter to be in a relationship. And on top of that, ayaw din kita para kay Sonnet dahil hindi ko alam kung anong mapapakain mo sa anak ko—"

"Mom!" I protested.

I glared at her as I breathed heavily.

"Shut up, Sonnet."

"Since when did you care, Mom? You didn't even give a little of your attention when I was hurt the last time and now, you're all here trying to break the only happiness I have?"

I averted my gaze and quickly wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"Tariq, go out."

I was about to protest when she stopped me.

"If you really love Tariq you'll let him go. Ikaw Tariq, if you really love Sonnet, you'll let her go too. Now, go out, Tariq. Sonnet, stay."

I held Tariq's hand tightly. He looked me in the eyes as if he were trying to say something. I slowly shook my head.

"No," I said.

"Tariq, if you won't go out now, I'll lock Sonnet here, and at the same, I will fire your mom and kick you all out of the house. Now choose, Sonnet or your family?"

I immediately laid my hand on her face. But she just replied with a smirk and didn't bother about the slap that she received from her daughter.

"Fucking bitch," I uttered.