Kabanata 22

Kabanata 22

Breathe Before the Plunge

Days passed quickly but the scar marked on me didn't even think to heal. Especially since the whole school is talking about Chester's sudden expulsion. Even my friends — except Connor, don't know what the reason was why. Some say he got expelled because of what he did to Tariq. Some say he dropped out of his own.

A lot of things come out of the mouths of people who don't know anything.

Today's the last day of the second week of February. It's the day I hated the most. I frowned my lips when I saw a guy giving a bouquet of flowers to a girl a distance from me.

I gasped when the girl tried to hide her smile and tucked her hair in her ears. Bahagya pa nga niyang hinampas-hampas ang braso ng lalaki at inamoy-amoy ang bulaklak.

As if may amoy 'yon? That was just an ordinary flower. If I was that guy, I'd give that girl a bunch of roses—red roses.

I sighed as I found myself sitting alone on a bench under the shade of a tree. I know I'm not in a relationship with Tariq... but is he that inconsiderate?

Isn't he going to give me flowers?

It was already lunch, and he didn't even greet me! He just smiled at me and talked about random things! Isn't he aware that today is Valentine's Day?

"Sonnet!"

I almost jumped in shock when somebody called me from behind. I turned my gaze and my lips parted when I saw Tariq running towards me. He sat next to me, but I just sighed and never said hello.

When he noticed the uncertainty, he faced me, with a smile.

"Bakit ganiyan ang mukha mo?" he asked, unaware, clueless, and innocent.

"Why? Do I look much prettier today?" I sarcastically answered and rolled my eyes. He chuckled but fell silent when he realized I was grumpy.

"Sonnet," he called again but I didn't bother to look at him.

He held my shoulders. "Sonne—"

"Ano ba—"

My lips parted when I saw a single red rose in his hand handing it to me. Butterflies started to run and roll down there and my cheeks were burning.

I cleared my throat and smiled a little as I gently received the single rose in his hands.

"I thought you were not going to give me something special," I uttered and pouted my mouth.

"Sorry, hindi bouquet ang binigay ko at 'di kita mabibilhan ng chocolates, baka kasi hindi ka kumakain ng mga mura," he asserted with a soft voice.

He even hung his head low.

I chuckled. "I don't like chocolates, actually. And bouquets are not a big deal, aanhin ko naman ang maraming bulaklak. Thank you for this, I really really appreciate it, I mean it," I answered while smiling a mile wide.

I don't really expect expensive gifts from him. But giving me a single piece of rose, makes me feel complete.

I averted my gaze at him and smiled, even more, I even caressed my cheeks which were burning. I tried to keep myself calm.

Naramdaman ko ulit na kinalabit niya ako. Napatingin ako ulit sa kanya pero napadpad ang tingin ko sa maliit na stuff toy na penguin na nasa kamay niya.

"Akin 'yan?" I asked with a little smile drawn on my face.

I need to keep my smile a little so he wouldn't notice how kilig I am.