Kabanata 19

Kabanata 19

Deal

"What are you saying?"

I smirked and then grinned while my eyebrows raised as I looked at him. He also replied with the same gesture as mine.

Chester stood up and took his phone from his pocket.

"Tariq Orion Gueverra. The son of Nora Gueverra. Lei Anne is his sister who is diagnosed with leukemia. Came from a small province. And her mother is a household worker in a residence in La Costa subdivision," he said, which made the whole class whisper.

I stood up without any reaction. I look at Tariq who doesn't have any reaction at all, he was just looking directly at Chester.

I wouldn't be surprised at how he knew all of this. He's Chester, the arrogant Chester. He's just good sometimes but his inner and true colors always stand out. Especially since pinahiya ko siya noong isang araw.

"Isn't that the subdivision where you live, Sonnet?" Jushen asked.

"Hey, Tariq! Get well soon to your sister, sana may pera kayong ipapagamot sa kanya," Chester added, insulting, mocking, and laughing at Tariq's misfortunes.

I turned my gaze to Tariq whose reaction remained the same as earlier. He got up from his chair and walked closer to us. His jaw clenched as he stared at Chester who was giving him a teasing smile.

"Man, why would you pretend like you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth? You're a great pretender!" Chester asked him and burst out laughing.

I gave Chester the deadliest stare he'll ever see in the world.

"Oh my god! Did he fool you, Sonnet?" Keevah asked as if she was worried. If I know, tuwang-tuwa pa nga 'yan.

"Uutuin mo pa si Sonnet?" Chester added.

"Manloloko ka, Tariq, ah. The audacity of you to fool our best friend?" singit pa ni Connor.

"Sonnet, why are you keeping your mouth shut?" Jushen commented.

"Okay ka lang ba, Sonnet? Next time be careful about choosing your crush. Hayaan mo, paparusahan natin 'yang Tariq na 'yan. Nandito naman ako," Chester patted my shoulders.

I folded my arms and felt like I was going to throw up. That's cringe and I don't do rebounds.

"So ano?" I began.

His forehead wrinkled—doesn't seem to understand or was surprised with my reaction.

"Huh?"

"Ano ngayon?" I repeated, which made his forehead crease even more.

"Anong 'ano ngayon'?" he asked, and his grin faded.

"Ano naman kung galing siya sa hirap?" I raised my eyebrows at him—to everyone. I held Tariq's hand, but he just stood there still staring at Chester.

His lips parted. "He fooled you!"

"I didn't like him because he was rich. I like him because he is what he is. How about you? Is there anything good for you? Have you done anything good?" I added, making fun of him.

He gulped and his teeth gritted. While my classmates remained quiet, attentively listening to us.

"I don't care if his mother is a maid. I don't care if he's not rich, mayaman naman ako." I raised my eyebrows at Chester while he just gasped.

"Anong ipapakain niyan—"

I cut Connor off, "I don't care if he doesn't have expensive belongings, mayro'n na rin naman ako. I don't care if he can't afford to eat in luxury restaurants, afford ko naman. What matters to me is that he is not like you," I stated, which made him more embarrassed.