Kabanata 29

Kabanata 29

Jace

"Class, are you listening?"

I saw how they gulped and averted their gazes from mine. They hung their heads low trying not to make any eye contact with me to avoid being mentioned in my class.

"Boys at the back..." I paused and stared at them blankly. I walked towards them.

"Bakit kayo tumatawa sa likod? Mayro'n bang nakakatawa sa lesson natin?" I asked them, fiercely.

The other guy looked at me. "Hmm... crush po kayo ni Jelo, Ma'am," he said and the whole class burst into laughter.

I roamed my eyes around while raising my left eyebrow.

"Where's Jelo?" I asked again.

The group of guys pointed their fingers at a boy smiling towards me and waving his hand.

"Ako, ma'am! Ang ganda ganda niyo po! Ngayon lang ako nagkaro'n ng guro na anghel! Pwede po ba kayong ligawan?" he asked, gleefully. He even stood up and gave me a finger heart.

Humalakhak ang buong klase lalong-lalo na ang mga kaibigan nitong hindi naman nakikinig sa 'kin.

"Mr. Ramos," I began.

"Po... ma'am ganda?"

"Minus 50 ka bukas sa summative test natin," dugtong ko at tinalikuran na siyang nakanguso at nakakamot sa ulo.

Sabay ulit nagtawanan ang lahat kaya napa-irap nalang ako.

Wala pa akong isang buwan dito pero damang-dama ko na ang stress. I've never thought being an educator would be such stressful work. My god! Mukha yatang dito ko mame-meet ang wrinkles ko.

"Remember, I am your teacher in Philosophy. If someone utters a word during my discussion, automatically, minus 50 points sa susunod na quiz. Do you understand?"

The students mumbled to each other.

"Grabe."

"Terror."

"Bago palang naman siya rito, 'kala mo kung sino na."

"Do you have any problem with that? Mga estudyante paman din kayo ng Sienna. During my time here, we all attentively listen to the teacher. Hindi kami tulad niyo bastos sa harap ng guro," I uttered.

"Need i-compare?"

"Storytelling 'yarn?"

"Ms. Sanchez and Ms. Reyes, minus 50 tomorrow," I answered them and turned my back to write something on the blackboard.

I was about to write when someone complained.

"You can't do that! You have no right to do that! Teacher ka lang naman! Just teach us the lesson and shut the fuck up!" Ms. Reyes yelled.

The whole class went silent.

I crossed my arms.

"Of course, I have the right to minus your score tomorrow. I am your subject teacher, and you can't do anything about that. I have my own rules when it comes to my class. And you're the one who needs to shut your mouth or else..."

"Or else what?!"

"Or else you'll receive 75 this grading period," I continued. Her jaw dropped and even rolled her eyes.

"Isusumbong kita si Mommy ko!" she added, which made me laugh.

"Okay, go on. Looking forward to that. Now sit down," I said.