Chapter 9

On the way to the pharmacy, Nolan looked at me and stared.

"Can I help you, Arenado," I asked?

"I guess I should have said something at the house, but you are going to freeze at the field."

I looked down and my outfit and then the temperature. Oh yeah, I messed up. I was just trying to look cute, so it didn't occur to me that I might need a jacket. I had on a pair of black leggings and the Cardinals t-shirt my dad bought, and sent me a week before he died. Now, I couldn't let Nolan know he was right, so I played it cool.

"Nol, it's only 45 degrees out. I will be perfectly fine."

He laughed and stated, "Yeah, you say that now, so don't come running to me when you need a jacket."

I just rolled my eyes and looked out the window. Before long, we were at the pharmacy. Nolan went through the drive-through, so I did not have to get out. When we got to the window, I was automatically regretting not going inside by myself. The lady at the window recognized Nolan and had a fit.

"Nolan Arenado, is that you? What might I be able to help your fine self with," she asked?

"Yes, I need a prescription for Kenzie," he said.

She did not seem to pleased that he did not flirt back. She made some sexual remark after every question she asked. What after felt like a lifetime, we had my medicine and were headed to the smoothie place.

"Wow, that was something else," I commented.

Nolan laughed and said, "It sometimes happens, I think she just was tying to make you angry."

I thought to myself, maybe he was right, and it worked. I knew Nolan wasn't mine, not even close, but I was jealous that someone else was trying to flirt with him. I shook it off and said, "Thank you for doing that, I appreciate it."

Nolan smiled at me and kept driving.

Once we go to the smoothie place, we went through the drive through and Nolan made me order. Something about it was too complicated, and he didn't want to. I laughed and said ok, but the man on the other side of the speaker could not hear me, so I had to lean over Nolan to order. I ordered a variety of fruit smoothies and figured the guys could just fight over it. When I say back down, Nolan smirked at me.

"What are you smirking at," I asked him?

"Oh, nothing. You just smell nice."

I blushed and responded," I always smell nice, thank you very much."

He laughed and made a comment I was not expecting.

"And maybe having you that close to me makes me happy."

I tried to hide my excitement, so I playfully rolled my eyes and mumbled "mhm."

When we pulled up to the window to pay, I leaned over to pay, but Nolan quickly grabbed my hand and held on.

"I'm sorry; she doesn't know what she is doing. I apologize for her crazy behavior," he said to the employee. And he handed him his debit card. Nolan turned to smile at me, and all I could do was smile back.

"You didn't have to do that, I was going to."

"I know I don't have to, but I wanted to," he replied.

"Are you going to let go of my hand now," I asked jokingly.

"Well, I was trying to enjoy a moment with you, but if you insist," he said and let go.

My eyes got wide because I literally messed that one up, but maybe I could fix it.

Just a second later, the employee handed Nolan the smoothies, he sat them in my lap, and we started to drive away.