Chapter 17

I was not looking for an explanation. Like, how did he even have the time? Why were they calling each other? I know it's a recent breakup, but I thought he was over her. I started to walk away, but Nolan grabbed my arm.

"Kenzie, please look and listen to me," he pleaded.

I slowly turned around, staring at my feet. Nolan pulled me into a hug and started explaining.

"It is not anything about what you think it is. I have told you I am done with her. Because she stays at my house, we have to keep an open line of communication. I know I should have told you, it's just been a little difficult."

I still didn't say anything, I just wrapped my arms around Nolan and hugged him back.

He continued, "I know I have told you this briefly, but you have changed my life for the better in just a short time. I had no idea the impact you would have on me, Kenz. I am sorry you found out like that, but I hope you understand."

I did understand, I just overreacted. I nodded my head so that Nolan knew I understood.

Nolan continued, "Now do me a favor and let me see those beautiful eyes."

I looked up at Nolan and he smiled.

"That much better," he said.

"I overreacted," I admitted.

"No you didn't. You were concerned, and I apologize for making you worry."

I thought about it for a second, and then responded.

"Nolan, do you like me?"

Nolan looked at me confused.

"Wait, you are serious," he asked?

I just stared.

Nolan laughed. "Kenzie, of course I like you! I wish I didn't since I know you aren't staying, but I could not help it. You are so special, I can't describe it."

"You really think that," I asked?

"I know so," Nolan responded.

I leaned up and slowly kissed him. There was no way I could go back to SC, not after this, I thought.

"I guess it's my turn now to get my swimsuit on."

I quickly ran upstairs and changed into the bikini Nolan liked best.

As I was coming back down, Nolan was reading the text between Dylan and me.

"You made me forget we had practice and a game tomorrow," Nolan said.

"Not my fault that you're caught up with me," I smirked.

"You're damn right about that," he said, coming closer to me. "But Dylan is right. There is no way I can go get a new phone with you since I have to go practice."

I knew Nolan felt bad, but it was really going to be ok.

"I don't mind, Nol. It shouldn't take too long anyway because I am due for a new phone."

"After you get done, will you come to practice," he asked?

"I wouldn't miss it." I kissed him once again.

I could kiss that man forever. He was so gentle with me, and treated me so well.

"Ok, let's get in the pool and start the movie," I said.

We both got in the pool and floated around while we watched the movie. Nolan was on his float, and me on mine, but to stay close, he grabbed mine and held on.

As I was floating, I couldn't help but reflect on my life currently. I have not been this happy in a while. And I was going to get the chance to stay. I just smiled and looked at Nolan. He was so focused on the movie, it was adorable. It was right then I remembered I owned Nolan a payback for pulling me under the water. As quickly and quietly as I could, I got out of my float, swam under Nolan, knocking him into the water. I was laughing so hard that I didn't realize he had come up. Without a warning, Nolan pulled me under the water too, and wouldn't let me go. With just a little space between us, Nolan grabbed me and started kissing me. It was like a scene from a movie. The way our bodies moved together under the water was indescribable. After a minute, we had to come up from air.

"Why did you flip me out of my float," Nolan asked with puppy dog eyes?

"That was payback for pulling me under the water the other day," I responded.

"Oh yeah," he said, laughing. "I totally forgot about that."

We stayed in the water, swimming around for little after that.

Not long after, Nolan spoke up. "I think I am ready for some s'mores!"

I agreed and we got out of the pool. Nolan handed me a towel, and we started to dry off.

Nolan went and sat down by the fire and I sat on his lap, facing the fire. I got our marshmallows ready to roast, as well as getting the chocolate and graham crackers ready.

As I handed Nolan his stick, I leaned my back against his stomach and relaxed.

"This was a perfect idea, thank you for suggesting it," Nolan said.

"It really was. Thank you for agreeing to do this with me."

"Anything for you, sweet girl," Nolan replied.

We spent quite a bit of time outside, relaxing, and before we knew it, it was 11pm.

"Nol, I think I am ready for bed. You have a busy day tomorrow."

"Yeah, you're right, I guess we should clean up."

Nolan helped me grab the supplies and take everything in and put it away.

When we finished, we walked upstairs and both went to our doors.

Leaning against his door frame, Nolan looked at me and commented, "Too bad I lost the game, or else I would be getting to hold you all night."

"Don't you try it, Arenado," I replied.

He walked over to me and kissed me.

"I will see you in the morning, beautiful."

I kissed him once more and replied, "I will see you in the morning, handsome."

We both went into our rooms and closed the door.

I stood with my back against the door for a minute and just smiled. Then, I made my way into the bathroom to shower. I knew Nolan would hear me, but I still tried to be quiet so he could sleep.

After I got out of the shower, I threw on my underwear and one of the shirts Nolan had gotten for me.

I climbed into bed and closed my eyes.