Chapter 11

With the game starting, I put my phone away, stopped talking to Cole, and gave it my undivided attention. Dylan was 2nd in the lineup, Nolan 4th, Tyler 6th and Baden 8th. It was Dylan's turn to hit, so he approached the plate and took his stance. First pitch a strike, second pitch a ball, third pitch was a single base hit. Dylan made it to first. Soon it was Nolan's turn. He walked out of the dugout without paying me any attention. I know he likes to focus on the game, but I figured maybe I would get a glance, still nothing. I was a little taken back, but cheered him on anyway. Nolan had just hit a home run! I stood up and cheered for him. Dylan made it in and shortly Nolan came around. They did their special hand shakes and walked to the dugout. Nolan was so happy. I love seeming him happy. They ran into the dugout and got their gloves ready to hit the field. The game continued, Bader making it on base, and so did Tyler. With a close game, the Cardinals ended up winning, 8-6. Fireworks shot off, and they all went onto the field to slap hands. While the guys were on the field, I started packing my thighs up. I should have expected it, but not long after, Cole walked down to my isle and started talking.

"Kenzie, it was wonderful to see you again," he said. "I know it is late notice, but a few friends and I are going to bar down the road after this, and I would love it if you joined us."

"Thank you for the offer, Cole, but I kind of have plans with-"

Just then, I was interrupted by Dylan yelling for my attention.

"One second," I yelled back!

I turned back around to Cole and continued.

"Sorry. Like I said, I have plans."

Cole responded, "Are you certain? I could see us having a good time together."

Cole started getting closer to me, and I was feeling uncomfortable. I tried to move back, but there was nowhere to go and Cole was right in my face.

"I said, we would have a good time." Cole barked.

Before I could say anything back, Nolan was at my side. He grabbed my arm and put me behind him.

"She said no, leave now," Nolan hissed.

"Oh, that's why you can't come, huh. Doing all the players on the baseball team, huh? I should have known you were a whore," Cole laughed.

I had no doubt Nolan was about to lose it, but thank god Dylan stepped in.

"Don't you fucking ever talk to her like that again, and never show your face here," said Nolan while Dylan pulled him away.

I stood back, just watching, and I let a single tear roll down my face. Was that the look I was putting off? Was I a whore for being friends with Dylan and hanging out with Nolan, and Bader and Tyler? I was pulled from my thoughts when Nolan grabbed me and wrapped me in his arms. By this time the stadium had cleared out, so it was just us on the field. I buried my head into Nolan's chest and calmed my breathing. Nolan asked Dylan to give us a minute and that we would meet them at the car. As Dylan walked away, Nolan disconnected us and looked right at me.

"Please listen to me. You cannot listen to anything that shitbag said. He has no idea what he is talking about. You are beautiful and deserved none of that." I looked back at Nolan and nodded my head.

"Please don't be mad at me, Nol. I only talked to him because I met him at the airport when I was traveling here. I ran into him and spilled coffee everywhere. He recognized me and we were just chatting. Everything was fine until he asked me to come to the bar with him and I said no."

Nolan looked at me like I was the only person in the world. " I should be the one to apologize. I saw you two talking at the beginning of the game and I got jealous, and it distracted me. I don't even know why we won because I could barely focus."

I laughed a little and replied, "you did great tonight. Probably because I'm your lucky charm wearing your hoodie." Nolan smiled.

"Might mean I'll never let you leave," Nolan joked.

I liked the sound of that, but didn't want to move too fast, so I laughed it off.

Nolan took my hand, kissed it, and we walked off the field to Dylan's car. When I saw Dylan, I ran and gave him a hug and congratulated him on their win. Bader had plans tonight, so he didn't come back to the house with us, and neither did Tyler. Looked like it was Dyl, Nolan, and me. I liked the sound of that.