Chapter 48

Mom rolled me over to the side of the bed, and she sat down beside me. I reached over and grabbed her hand and she squeezed it.

"Kenzie, I wanted to fill you in on the results that we came across when we did your scan today. First off, this is our head of Neurology. He looked over the scans to confirm our findings. Secondly, I do not want to alarm you, but we have some concerns."

I let a single tear fall from my eye. I shook my head in agreement, and he continued.

"The lump on your head is just bruising from the accident. We did not see anything wrong with it. It looks like it just took its time in appearing. The concern is that you have bleeding on the brain. It seems to be minor, but it is something we need to operate on now."

I looked over to mom who was trying to hold it together.

The doctor continued, "I know this is hard to grasp, but I am certain we will get it under control."

Mom looked at me and spoke up, "What do you think, Kenz?"

"Nolan," I whispered.

She knew what I meant.

"Doctors, thank you. Can we have just a few minutes, please."

"Of course, but the sooner we get this, the better for everyone."

She said ok, and walked them out the door. Mom walked back over to me and hugged me while we both cried.

"I can't do this, mom. I am scared."

"I know baby, but they said they are certain they can fix it. We need you better."

I was at a complete loss. Do I call Nolan and tell him? Do I go and get it taken care of and tell him after?

"Mom, what do I do?"

"Baby, you need to tell him. I know this game is important, but you are more important to him. Call him."

Still crying, I agreed. I pulled out my phone and dialed Nolan's number. I was shaking, I was so nervous. First time he didn't pick up. I called again. He answered.

"Hey baby, how are things going?"

"Nol," I cried out.

The line disconnected.

I dropped my phone and cried more.

"What happened," mom asked?

"He hung up."

She hugged me and tried to make me feel better.

"It's ok. It was probably a mistake or his phone died."

I heard my phone vibrating, so I looked over and Dylan was calling.

"I can't talk, mom."

"It's ok baby, I got it."

Mom picked up the phone and put it on speaker.

"Hello Dylan."

"Mom, what is wrong? Nolan just ran out of here. I tried yelling, but he didn't stop. What is going on?"

"Dylan, he is probably coming here. Kenzie got some bad news. There is bleeding on the brain, and they need to do immediate surgery."

"Oh my god. I am on the way."

I calmed my crying and spoke up, "No, Dyl. You have to be at that game. I didn't even want Nolan to leave. He doesn't know what's going on. I just said his name and he hung up."