Chapter 20

Practice wrapped up, and the guys made their way over to me.

"So, what are everyone's plans until the game tonight," Bader asked.

Dylan spoke up first, "I don't really have any other than just wanting to relax a bit."

Nolan looked at me and said, "I really need to go home again and get more things, and then I need to run over some plays for tonight."

"I don't have any plans," I said, not looking at Nolan.

"Kenz, would you like to go to the mall with me," Harrison asked?

I looked at Nolan, and he had an unreadable look on his face.

"I don't see a reason why not. I just want to go home and change," I said.

"Perfect," Harrison said. "I'll follow you there."

The guys walked into the dugout to get their things, but Nolan stayed beside me.

"What was that about," he asked?

"What do you mean," I asked back?

"I looked at you and said I needed to go home, and you didn't say anything," he said.

I was confused, so I asked, "Why would I say anything? I know you would need to go back at some point to get more things."

"For some reason, I thought you might be mad at me."

"No, Nolan, I understand. You can do what you need, and I will go with Bader. It will be fine."

He nodded his head and gave me a quick kiss before the guys came back over. I gave Dylan the keys to his car back, so he could drive, and I could ride with Nolan. The ride home was peaceful. Nolan held my hand and drove, focusing on the road.

"Do you plan on buying anything at the mall," Nolan asked me?

"I don't have anything specific I want to buy, but I do want to look around."

"Will you do me a favor and take my card," Nolan asked?

I was taken aback by this, so I asked, "Why should I take your card?"

"I want to treat you to something nice, but since I am not going, I can still pay."

"You don't have to do that, Nolan. I have money I can use."

"I know you do, but like I said, I want to do something for you," he replied.

I thought about it and caved in.

"I will take it, but no promises that I will buy anything."

Nolan laughed and said, "You do have to promise that if you get anything, it will be on my card."

I just nodded my head and rolled my eyes. He was so stubborn, but so am I.

We made it home shortly after our conversation. Nolan walked around the truck, opening my door for me.

"Thank you," I said.

"Anything for you, beautiful," he replied.

As we walked inside, Dylan was there and Bader was right behind us.

"I am going upstairs to change. Harrison, I will be down in a few minutes."

I quickly ran upstairs and started to change. I wanted to wash Nolan's sweatshirt before tonight, so I could wear it to the game. I changed into a long sleeve black shirt and threw on a Cardinals t-shirt with Dylan's name on the back. I brushed through my hair, threw some laundry on, and ran back downstairs.

"Ok, I am ready. Let's go," I said looking at Harrison.

"Whoa, hold up a second," Nolan said, looking at me. "Turn around."

I did a quick spin, confused.

"Carlson?"

He was talking about the last name on the t-shirt. I laughed, and so did Dylan.

"Hey, that's my girl," he said, coming up to hug me.

"Hands off my lady," Nolan responded.

"Oh, so is she your lady, now," Dylan asked?

Nolan looked at me like he didn't know the right thing to say, so I jumped in.

"Well, Dyl, I am not yours, so I will be ok," I said, and I winked at Nol.

"Good point, now get out of here," Dylan commented.

I looked at Bader, "Are you ready to go?"

He nodded yes, so we grabbed our things, and headed to the door. Nolan followed, grabbing my hand before I was outside.

"Please be careful and text me when you get the chance."

I smiled and agreed.

"You let me know when you are safe, too."

Nolan agreed, and headed me his credit card. I took it reluctantly, but nicely nonetheless.

With that, Bader and I walked out the door to his car, and headed to the mall.

As we drove to the mall, Bader spoke up.

"So, how are you enjoying your time here," he asked?

"I love it here. I forgot how much I did. Hanging with Dylan was just like I remember, and meeting you guys and spending time with you all was more than I could have imagined," I responded.

"I wish you didn't have to go back so soon," Bader commented.

I thought about my response for a minute and then spoke up.

"Bader, I need to tell you something, but I swear if you open your mouth to anyone about it, I will murder you."

He looked away from the road for a split second and to me.

"I lost my job, Harrison. I don't have to go back home."

Harrison was not expecting that news, as he ended up jerking the wheel of the car and almost crashing.

"What the fuck, Harrison," I screamed!

"I am sorry! Your news just shocked me."

"Imagine receiving it through an e-mail," I said.

Harrison pulled into a parking spot at the mall, and we just sat there.

"Kenz, are you serious? Like you aren't making this up," he asked?

"I swear to you, I am being serious."

I pulled out my phone, pulled up the email and let Harrison read it. He looked at it and then back at me, smiling.

"You know what this means, right," he asked? "You can stay in St. Louis and hang out with us all the time."

I smiled a little and then asked, "But is that even a good idea?"

"Why would it not be a good idea," he asked?

"I don't know, Bader. I love it here, but I don't want to over-stay my welcome. I know you guys need your space and if I stay, what if I constantly invade that," I asked?

"Oh, pretty girl, you are worrying too much. Since you told me a secret, I will tell you one, too."

My ears perked up, and I turned more to listen.

"You are all Arenado talks about at practice. Dylan and him love having you here, and so do I. I can tell you for certain that no one wants you to leave."

I smiled at Bader and responded, "You really are certain of this? It wouldn't be weird to stay?"

He just laughed and grabbed my hand, "I pinky promise you, this is going to be perfect."

"Okay, good. I am going to tell Dylan tonight, and then Nolan later."

With that, we got out of the car and into the mall.