Chapter 14

Mom answered on the first ring.

"Hey Baby girl, how are things going," she asked?

"Hey mom, things are already better than I could have imagined. Spending time with Dylan has been a blast. I had already forgotten how much I missed St. Louis."

We continued with our conversation. She was telling me about how things back in South Carolina were, and how she was doing at work. I filled her in on my Nolan situation and my feelings towards him.

"Mom, there is just something about him. He is caring, and sweet to me. He understands me and offers to do anything I need."

"Kenzie, I know you are a smart girl, but you just met Nolan. Are you certain this is something you need to be getting into," she asked?

I had already thought about it, and she was right. I didn't need to lead Nolan on just to have to leave. But that's where the conversation changed.

"That's actually why I called. I need some advice."

The line went quiet, and I thought she had hung up.

"Go ahead," she said.

"You are not going to believe the timing of this, but I received an email from work this morning stating they are closing the company down. They did not say why, just that we had three more weeks, and then it was done."

Mom was shocked to say the least.

"Wow, Kenz. I'm so sorry to hear that. What are you going to do?"

This is where I didn't know if I was ready or not, but I threw out an idea.

"What are your thoughts on me moving back to St. Louis?"

Again, the line went quiet.

"Mom, are you still there?"

"Yes, honey, I am here, but I am trying to think of the right thing to say."

I just sat on the couch and waited.

Mom started, "believe it or not, I think that is a great idea. St. Louis is home, and I've wanted you to go back ever since your dad died. A job was the only thing holding you back, but that wouldn't be a problem now. You seem happy there, too. I say go for it."

I was at a complete loss for words. I just cried.

"Thank you, mom, I knew you would know what to say."

Mom and I talked a little more about how the move could happen, and we agreed that if Dylan would let me stay longer, I would, and I would search for apartments. We also agreed not to tell the guys yet, just in case something were to come up. Talking to mom just fixes all the problems. After about an hour and a half, I hung up the phone with mom and decided to use the pool to relax since I was still the only person home.

I quickly ran upstairs, changed into a red bikini and made my way down to the heated pool. It was still chilly outside, but the water felt so good once I got in, so it was worth it. I played some music from the house speakers, and enjoyed my time. While I was floating in the water, I got a text from Dylan.

Dylan: On the way home from the store. Lunch?

Me: Yes please, your choice!

I put my phone down and continued to float. Not even 2 minutes later, I got another text. "Geez. Dyl already needs help again," I stated to myself. But to my delight, it was Nolan.

Nolan: Hey, sweet girl

Me: Hey Nol, is everything ok?

Nolan: I have my things, and I'm headed to the interview. If you want to watch it live, just click this link.