Chapter 34

When Nolan and I got back to his place, we changed into comfy clothes and Nolan started packing as I laid on the bed watching.

"I can't believe I have to leave you for a week. I am going to miss you," he said.

"I am going to miss you, Nolan. Good news is, I have plenty of time to relax, and I plan on hanging out with Lauren a good bit."

"You are becoming good friends, huh," he asked?

I smiled and replied, "Yes we are."

"That makes me feel better."

"Me too, handsome."

I continued to lay in bed and watch as Nolan packed.

"What should I do while you're gone?"

Nolan thought about it for a minute before responding.

'You could go shopping. Go to Dylan's and swim. Take lots of naps, and of course watch the games."

"That sounds great. I will do all that."

He smiled, looking accomplished, and zipped his bag. Nolan put the bag in the corner and came and sat on the bed with me.

"Close your eyes," he said.

"What is going on," I asked?

"I told you that I have a surprise for you, so be patient."

I closed my eyes and held out my hands. I could feel Nolan lay a big box in my hands.

"Ok, open," he said proudly.

I opened my eyes to a plain, cardboard box.

"You made me close my eyes for this?"

He laughed and demanded I open it. Slowly, I lifted the top of the box to revel a custom St. Louis Cardinals sweatshirt with Nolan's name on the back, but it was written in a girly font. It was beautiful.

"Nol, I love this. Thank you so much."

I got up to hug him, and he gladly accepted.

"Now I can finally get mine back that you stole."

I laughed and responded, "No way that is happening, Arenado."

"You're right, I figured, but you have yet to see the best surprise. Go try it on."

I got excited and took the sweatshirt out of the box and threw it over my head. I walked over to the mirror and looked.

"Is the surprise that it is soft and looks good on me," I asked?

Nolan laughed, coming to stand beside me.

"Both are true, but that is not it. Do me a favor and reach into the front pocket."

I looked at Nolan, trying to contain my excitement. As I put my hands into the pocket, I could feel something small and cold. I looked at Nolan and he was just smiling. I grabbed a hold of it and pulled it out. I looked down and saw a copy of Nolan's house key.

"Nolan, what is this for?"

"Well," he paused and walked closer.

"You will need it to get in the house while I am gone, so now you will be able to do that. And after I get back, I am hoping you will keep it and use it to move it with me."

My eyes started to tear up.

"Are you serious? This is real," I asked, trying not to cry.

He put his hand under my chin and lifted my head.