Chapter 46

Xander's POV:

I rubbed a towel through my hair, trying to just get it dry enough to where it wasn't dripping water everywhere.

Doe and I had returned probably about 40 minutes ago, thoroughly exhausted from the day we'd spent together.

We'd ventured more into the city, stopping every now and again at a street musician, or any antique shops she looked interested in.

She dragged me through that city with stamina I never knew she had, and I enjoyed every second of it.

Every second of seeing her eyes light up when she spotted something interesting, of her grabbing the fabric by my wrist and taking me into a shop, or hearing her gasp and point whenever she spotted a stray cat.

The wonder in her eyes as we got on the topic of weird food mixtures and I mentioned pizookies.

We ended up splitting one for dinner.

Definitely not one of the most nutritional meals we've ever had, but the look on her face as she enjoyed every bite quickly made it so that I didn't care.

I smiled to myself, hanging the towel by the sink and adjusting the one that I had around my waist.

Her stamina depleted nearly the second we entered back into the castle, though. I was halfway surprised that she didn't just crash right then and there.

Which was why I let her shower first.

I drew a hand through the hair in front of my eyes, the moisture that still remained in it succeeding in keeping it where I wanted it.

I just stared at myself in the mirror for a second.

There was one specific event, though, that I absolutely couldn't get out of my mind.

It's practically been replaying on loop ever since it happened.

Placing my hands on either side of the sink, I leaned forward, letting my head hang with a sigh as I recalled it again.

The chill on the backside of my body was nothing compared to the warmth that landed on top of it.

Especially after the tantalizing laugh that came from her only a moment later.

My next heartbeat felt harder than the last.

She didn't jump away immediately like I thought she would, instead used the circumstance to subdue me and claim her well-earned victory with an exuberance that I'd never experienced from her.

I didn't stand a chance after that.

At that point, I was completely powerless to the engrossing sight that was above me.

That playful excitement written all over her face.

I felt my shoulder lift as I drew in a deep breath.

I cursed myself for not taking an opportunity while it was there.

For not wrapping my arms around her to keep her there.

To keep that moment there even just a few seconds longer.

To keep that feeling.

God, what I wouldn't do for that...

I doubted she'd even be comfortable with me touching her like that, so maybe it did end up working for the best...

Lifting my head back up, I stood to my full height.

I think that was the first time in a long time that I've felt... happy.

Truly, unmistakably happy, and with someone with an energy that paired so well with mine.