Chapter 64

Doe's POV:

The scene before me was one unfamiliar to my dreams.

For starters, I wasn't running, I wasn't pinned to the floor, and the overwhelming feeling of panic and dread hadn't consumed me.

Yet.

I was just standing here and could move to my own accord.

I kept my head down, just staring at my feet.

Despite all of this, something still didn't feel right, and part of me didn't want to face what I felt like I knew was already waiting for me.

That thought further confirmed itself when those same damned footsteps began to approach.

My head lifted, immediately spotting her as she approached, calm and collected as ever.

A different kind of instinctive fear spread through me. This time stemming from so many different sources than the last time this happened.

The same worries I've dealt with before... now with a whole lot more that had to do with Xander.

I tried to swallow it. I could actually move this time around, and I didn't want to use that to show fear.

Not while, for once, It felt like I had the upper hand... kind of.

I balled my fists, and brought my shoulders back, directly meeting her eye.

Her grin grew at the sight of it, the indolent picking at her nails ceasing as they sharpened into thoes claws I knew so well.

Against my will, I felt myself stagger at the sight.

Knowing how close I had once come to living that fate.

Or I guess... dying to it.

Her obnoxious, squealing laughter echoed through my head as she drew closer.

She stopped about two feet from me, looking me over from head to toe.

"Well, look at you," She mocked before circling me counter-clockwise with the same slow pace that she approached me with, "Things go your way for once and you feel like you own the world."

I stood my ground while she made her way around me, just turned my head to always have an eye on her.

Then I realized something.

All of these dreams I've had. Dreams just like this one with her being at the center of it, and not once have I said a word in any of them.

Not once had I ever spoken to her, even outside of this dream.

Even if I wanted to before, I don't know if the restraints my previous dreams put on me would have let that happen.

I never really had a reason to anyway, but this time...

Even if it was all just some fabrication in my head, I had to live it regardless.

Might as well do it my way.

"He's done with you." I grit, peering to my right as she passed my shoulder.

She nearly snorted through her sudden laughter.

"Oh come on now. You don't really believe that, do you?" The cynicism was as evident as ever in her voice, "You act like it's hard for me to pull him back to how I want him."