Chapter 47

Xander's POV:

I awoke to the realization that with everything that happened last night, I forgot to close the blinds.

Which allowed the blinding morning sunlight to already be flooding into the room.

The fresh snow that must have fallen overnight sat in a small pile on the other side of the window, adding another thing for the sun to reflect off of and succeed even more in troubling my tired eyes.

Even the dove's nest that sat out there was completely buried under it all.

I closed my eyes again, preparing myself to turn over so that I could just avoid the issue for now.

I wasn't totally committed to being awake yet, and didn't feel like getting up to fix it completely.

My movements came to a halt, though, as soon as I had rolled onto my back.

A feeling that was foreign to me this early in the morning caused my eyes to open again to confirm what was now touching my upper arm.

As if that warmth came from anything else.

Doe, well, her hand at least brushed against me, her arm completely outstretched.

Just a glance was all it took for me to figure out her admittedly absurd position.

This bed was stupidly large, and yet, somehow she was taking up all of it.

Lying on her stomach, her head ended up right in the middle of the bed, limbs spread in every direction.

Like a starfish.

I guess she wasn't used to this much space and was trying to take advantage of it now that she could.

Not that I minded.

Not one bit.

Especially since her head was turned towards me, and I could see the fully relaxed look on her face.

She's become a lot more... expressive as of late.

Whether it was in those wide eyes in excited surprise, her sharp look when she's focussing or determined, even the annoyance that's mostly just for show.

They were all intriguing to see, even as much as this one.

This look was just peaceful. It was relaxing for me and I was just looking at it.

My smile was a drowsy one, but filled with fondness nevertheless.

Perhaps I can keep my eyes open for a little longer.

I continued my objective in turning over, more carefully now and extra wary of her hand there.

It ended up being just mere inches from where I ended up, opting to leave the pillow I usually held on the other side.

She was so close, and her scent was oddly intoxicating now that it was all over my bed.

Quite literally.

It stirred something unfamiliar in me to life.

A curiosity almost, mixed with that odd momentary sensation from last night.

Strange.

A part of me was itching just to touch her, to intentionally feel that warmth she radiated.

But I didn't want to attempt anything I wasn't absolutely sure that she would be okay with.

I've only recently been able to get away with touching her and her discomfort being nowhere to be seen.