Chapter 67

Doe's POV:

I was jerked awake from my slumber by the sound of the ringing phone.

The sound of which made it feel like I was waking up from a nightmare, knowing what it meant when a call came this late.

And this time it was late.

It had to have been around 1 in the morning, and even then, it wasn't completely unusual for Layla to interrupt at this time.

It usually didn't matter what time she wanted to come over, as long as she was coming over, Xander allowed it.

Of course, she was the first place my mind went once it was forced to awaken.

It was the only logical explanation, and that fact had my heart racing before I could even push myself up.

I'd been on edge all day for her to show herself and she does it now?

The small red light signifying an incoming call blinked bright against the wall, tearing that fear specific to her out of me and into plain sight.

It was just a phone call... why was this happening to me over a phone call?!

No, it wasn't just the phone call, but the knowledge of what always followed it.

The panic felt different this time. Deeper in the way it surrounded me and dulled my awareness of everything except what it deemed as the threat.

Focusing on that phone as if she was going to somehow appear from it.

Enough so to where I didn't process the man shuffling beside me.

Not until I felt his fingers on my upper arm, snapping me back with a gasp.

I narrowly stopped myself from flinching from the contact through my hectic mind, but the gentle touch was a good enough reminder.

I think he could still tell though, the glow from his eyes illuminating his face just enough to see his subtle regret.

He didn't pull back. Something that I grew grateful for as I kept looking at him.

And even more so for the fact that through a long while of debating, I decided to sleep here tonight.

Just... for my own satisfaction.

Even though the phone was still ringing, his eyes never left me to pay it any attention.

I tried to use both of those facts to ease myself into relaxing but it wasn't working in the slightest.

I didn't want to see her again.

I don't think I could manage it right now.

I was still repairing the damages done to me the last time. There was no way that I could hold my own against her.

Yet I still found myself trying regardless, repeatedly being met with instant failure.

I swallowed, trying to moisten my throat before speaking.

"Is it..." Was all I could say.

We rarely talked about her as it was, so it felt somewhat strange to try. Especially right amid my fear.

It felt like just saying her name held the possibility of summoning her.

We both turned our heads towards the phone as it fell quiet, the silence somehow adding even more to the unease.

My nails dug deep into the comforter.

Like the calm before the storm.

Xander blew out a sigh, hopefully having the same thought I did.