Chapter 68

Xander's POV:

I wasn't expecting myself to fall asleep after that.

After things had gone quiet. After Layla had finally gone away in what I can only assume was a panicked rage I was still on high alert.

Since waking up how I did and then snapping into that protective instinct only a few minutes later, it was to be expected.

It took vampires a while to come down from that, and even more so when the situation didn't get solved how we want to be.

Which I didn't care too much about as long as the girl whose peace of mind mattered most to me at that moment was settled.

Once she grabbed me to stop me from just settling it with Layla then and there, I knew I was stuck.

That look she was giving me...

I would have given her anything at that moment.

If it left my mind on edge for the rest of the night then so be it.

Especially since she had trusted me enough after that to fall asleep in my arms.

Which she did quicker than I think we both expected.

After that, she was the only thing running through my mind.

Keep her there, keep her safe, keep her asleep.

Anything else could wait.

I finally had that trust back to an extent and all I wanted to do was guard it.

Or that was the plan at least.

A little bit after she had fallen asleep, since I had been holding her close for so long, the warmth of her body was reigning back my nerves, almost coaxing me to join her.

Once it had worked its magic in calming that deep part of me, I was practically a goner.

Having that odd feeling that always came from her touch stay next to me for so long left me useless to try to fight it.

As if that was ever my intention.

When I woke up again, from the amount of light breaking through the curtains, the sun was just beginning to rise.

I was in the same position, Doe still sound asleep.

Although at some point during the night, one of her legs sat over one of mine.

Which showed that, unlike her typical 'fetal position' sleeping habit, she was mostly aligned against my body.

Even in that state, she had somewhat of a hold on my shirt.

The rest of her held the relaxation that I wanted.

I'd take anything over the fear clearly written all over her.

I took a moment to scan the room with the senses that wouldn't cause me to move too much, nothing causing me any sort of alarm.

I took that as a good thing, knowing that Layla would eventually return.

Both for Doe and for me now that I'd cut her off entirely.

Which was probably the absolute last thing she expected of me.

I was well aware that this was something I was going to have to deal with eventually, but I didn't try to dwell and guess how it was going to go.

I already knew that she wasn't going to be cordial about it at all.

There was very little planning that I could do when I knew how strongly my instincts felt about her now that that part of me released from her.

It just... took a minute for the rest of me to catch up.