Doing it Right

Shaurya had been in Patiala for past four days. And when he came back, he saw his decision to get married had taken a serious toll on his family, they had happily gone crazy. They were more enthusiastic than even the groom and bride, the marriage party was all geared up in fifth gear, while the bride and groom were still trying to tie the loose ends together before they could put the things in first gear. He smiled at their over enthusiasm.

But then he recalled, today's afternoon, on way back to Chandigarh today, Shaurya had gone to Kapurthala to meet and persuade Anokhi's parents for marriage. He had spoken with Babli on last visit and taken the details. Babli had told him, it would be difficult, but he wanted to try. Also he asked Babli to not tell Anokhi anything yet unless there is some coming forward from her parents and she had agreed. She remembered both her and Anokhi were so broken when she had told her about her father's words when she was hospitalised and his condition for her to go back to Vineet.

When Shaurya arrived at Anokhi's home in Kapurthala, he wasn't received too well. He had introduced himself as professor at SAIC, where Anokhi studied, only to be told by her father that if he has come to complain or tell about Anokhi then it was no use, she was dead for him and there is no one related to her here. Shaurya told him about her accomplishments and subtly about her struggles and how bravely she fought, and also about him missing the opportunity to be proud of her. But there wasn't any effect, her father and grandmother still chided and blamed her for the humiliation she bought on them by running away from the marriage. Her father even blamed her for breaking her sisters marriage, he chided her for her aspirations of a dream like husband that doesn't exist, husbands are always like Vineet and Monty and women have to make peace and adjust. Shaurya felt pathetic, how could a father put his daughter through a violent and abusive marriage to be beaten everyday. But nothing better could be expected from a man, who himself abused his wife. Thanks god Anokhi ran away that night. Finally he decided to get straight to him.

Shaurya- I am sorry Mr. Bhalla, but unlike you I am proud of whatever she did, especially of having the courage to pay the price of her dreams. I am glad she ran away. I was not here to remind you or make you realize of your follies but I came here to take your permission to marry her. Look Mr. Bhalla, we both are adults and we don't need your permission, but it would be good if you will happily become part of this marriage and bless us. (He folded his hands)

Mr. Bhalla- (Looking towards Mrs. Bhalla) See, if this is what she wanted to do, then why did she runaway. We were also getting her married, to a boy well settled in Canada. Par teri kudi ko toh pyoh di izzat uchal kar bhagna tha. She boasted so much about studying and accomplishing something, what is she finally doing, getting married, compromising in her life, so what was the harm in marrying Monty, it would have saved me so much humiliation. I was right, she humiliated us for nothing and (looking back to Shaurya) it's better if you see properly before marrying her, she will be a shame and also she won't become an obedient wife or daughter in law, think about your parents and family.

Shaurya- She has neither compromised on her education and nor her career and dreams by agreeing to marry me. I love her and I will make sure that she accomplishes every dreams of her. And one more thing I am nothing like your scumbag son in laws Vineet and Monty. My parents adore her. I don't know if you remember, Aastha Sabherwal, she is my mother. So you can imagine the kind of love, encouragement and protection she will get. Anokhi deserves everything without any compromises. And one more thing she is bright and deserving and she has a great chance in this world and she will make a mark for herself. And I am proud of her. And I feel sorry for you Mr. Bhalla, you don't deserve a daughter like her, you don't deserve any daughter, and most importantly I am marrying her and not looking for a subordinate.

With that Shaurya left from there, he was angry. He was out and almost to his car, when he felt someone came running and kept a hand on his shoulder. He turned around to find Mrs. Bhalla.